How Will it be for You?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haven't made any, changes that is.

The world around me is now an hour earlier and I ain't. No, a symbol of olde winter daze and another time. On the same schedule for rising and setting ... on the porch.

In a minority, since America is now in the 239 days of daylight savings while I am trapped in the 126 daze of unsaved hours. Get with the program, Steve!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not much difference now that I'm not going out to a job or have kids in school. We live on country time here and not so much according to the clock.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think daylight savings is one of the most ridiculous things we do as Americans. It just shows how out of sync we humans are with mother nature. Foolish, foolish, foolish. The movement of the sun and planets is the only clock there is and it cannot be changed to an hour ahead or back. Why does mankind want to control everything?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Because we are rebellious children. We do it in so many ways every single day that it's just second nature to us now...or first nature, really.

Think about how many people think dogs, cats and birds belong indoors when clearly they were designed and thrive in an outdoor setting....they have fur and feathers, their natural diet can be found out there, the soils, rain, plant life and the very air contributes towards their ongoing good health and life. They were designed to withstand extreme temps and those that could not died and left those that could to breed more that could.

Same with humans...we weren't meant to stay indoors draped over a couch all day or work inside for most of our lives, eat processed and low nutrient foods, lead sedentary lifestyles, stare at a TV all the time or any of those unhealthy living practices. We were designed to live in contact with the soils, to be outdoors quite a bit but still take shelter indoors in extreme weather as we are lacking in fur, scale and feathers, and we were designed to be active. Very active.

Nope. We know better and so we do the contrary and force our own ideas on a perfect design.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are a few myths about daylight savings time. One is that it saves electricity. That may have been true 100 years ago when windows were so common in workplaces. Of course, the energy savings isn't there with increased afternoon traffic on our roadways.

A politician recently commented that "farmers want daylight saving." Maybe some farmers. I can still remember the confusion over milking schedules and "when will the truck come by to pick up the milk!!" There was considerable resistance on the part of some farmers.

Even the idea that it was Benjamin Franklin coming up with the idea. Franklin was the ambassador to France and responding to French elite criticisms of the workers. I'm convinced that he may well have been joking about changing the clocks and schedule of the church bells. Certainly, it wasn't any of his business what the French work ethic was. His comment was duly noted by American reporters and published back home, however.

No. The reasons lie partly with the recreation industry and convenience stores - get more of us out and about. The important reason was longer work hours. If the American business community wants more summer overtime labor, it has less need to negotiate for it with the time change.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Daylight Savings Time is one of the best inventions since SLICED BREAD ! :weee

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not wise to mess with our circadian rhythms. There is a spiked increase in traffic fatalities and workplace injuries in the days that follow "spring forward". And even my horse knows to come off of the hill for his grain at the exact hour. It throws everyone off.

I wish they would change it back. The extra hour of daylight in the summer makes me stay up too late. Those twilight hours sitting on the porch swing watching the lightning bugs and listening to the peepers...it's really hard to not stay out and enjoy that bliss. I am supposed to be in bed by 9pm though!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
<snip> Those twilight hours sitting on the porch swing watching the lightning bugs and listening to the peepers...it's really hard to not stay out and enjoy that bliss. I am supposed to be in bed by 9pm though!

Hey! Speaking of Peepers, last night was the first I've heard this year. Our pond was singing all evening. I love this time of year.

Latest posts