How would a KitchenAid be helpful

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
with canning and preserving? My sis called me from Texas tonight - she runs a store that sells them and they have one on clearance, plus she gets her discount, so I can get it for half price. I don't know that much about them and a bargin isn't a bargin unless I can to use it! Does anyone use them for canning?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sounds like a great deal Joan! I would love to have one. I know there are a lot of attachments you can get for them for slicing and shredding etc. I would be making way too many cookies if I had one though! :)

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't use mine for canning, but I would hate to live without it. I use it for making breads, whipping cream, whipping egg whites, mixing meatloaf, and a hundred other things, plus i have the grinder attachment so I can grind meat for sausage and stuff with it.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use mine a LOT for canning...but you do need some of the attachments. I use the grinder to grind my own meat for burger, the juicer is great for separating fruits from the skins and seeds, and the slicer does just that. My only complaint about the slicing cup is that the slots are narrow enough that the slices come out thinner than I like...just my own personal preference. DH bent them out for me...not perfect and pretty, but it does make thicker slices now :) As a plain mixer, it can't be beat either...the motor is so heavy and strong that it's just a work horse!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never had one, so can't attest to their usefulness. I am still using the hand mixer that I received as a wedding gift 44 years ago. I have purchased a juicer, a food processer and a victorio strainer in the years since. Probably the money I have spent on the other appliances would have paid for a KitchenAid or something similar. I do wonder about the cost of the needed attachments that Mickey mentioned.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
KitchenAid mixer, Cat :)

Some of the attachments are pricey...we're saving up for the pasta attachment, but most of the others are pretty reasonable.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Southern, if you don't want it at half price; I'll take it! hahaha Just kidding but sounds like a great deal if you have a use for it. I had one way back when and loved it!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always found, particularly when my kids were little and liked to help, the more toys I had the more likely I was to cook well. Sounds like a good deal.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that is a deal too good to pass up. I've had a KitchenAid on my "wishlist" for years now. I borrow my MIL's to grind deer meat and make sausage. Hers is over 20 years old. They really are the the Cadillac of mixers, but even better since they have all these wonderful attachments you can get for them. They are very powerful, very well made and sure do get the job done.

Latest posts