How would you eat this??

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Most of what I grow is edible...that's kind of the rule of green thumb around here. I do not have enough calendula to do anything with. I used to sprinkle it on the girls pancakes and they got a kick out of that.

Rose hips, on the other hand - well I have an absolute ton of those off my climber. What do I use them for? I have 6 children and 2 grandchildren from 2-22 so I'm looking for ideas that would appeal to them all.

My juniper are also getting berries. I used to u use them in cooking of game birds but since I grow my own birds, there isn't any gamey flavor...and 'm not so sure I want to make gin, either, lol. Any ideas there?

Has anyone made anything with passion fruit? I normally spoon the pulp & seeds right on top of sherbet sorbet or yogurt eating it fresh or freezing. How would you incorporate that into a jam or jelly and what would you pear it with?

I'm excited to hear some ideas!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just have a couple of ideas here G_C, not good ones, but just a couple ;).

Juniper berries for game birds? Yeah, I bet that's a good idea! I remember a recipe for a game marinade that made use of them. Nearly all of the meat that we use in cooking goes into a marinade or it is cured & smoked when we buy it. No, I don't have any game to marinade . . . maybe Peter Rabbit :rolleyes: . . . Usually, I just pick a few berries when I walk past a juniper and rub them in my hands and enjoy the fragrance :).

Speaking of fragrance, rose hips provide some fragrance, flavor and color to herbal teas. When I lived way out in the country, I used to dry and use the wild rose hips just for that purpose.

Passion fruit? . . ? . .

Steve

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I just have a couple of ideas here G_C, not good ones, but just a couple ;).

Juniper berries for game birds? Yeah, I bet that's a good idea! I remember a recipe for a game marinade that made use of them. Nearly all of the meat that we use in cooking goes into a marinade or it is cured & smoked when we buy it. No, I don't have any game to marinade . . . maybe Peter Rabbit :rolleyes: . . . Usually, I just pick a few berries when I walk past a juniper and rub them in my hands and enjoy the fragrance :).

Speaking of fragrance, rose hips provide some fragrance, flavor and color to herbal teas. When I lived way out in the country, I used to dry and use the wild rose hips just for that purpose.

Passion fruit? . . ? . .

Steve
Can you make a jam from rose hips? There has got to be something other tan tea - love my tea but I'm thinking rose hips are far more deserving of just a tea, lol

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think you would want to use rose hips for JELLY, not jam. I *think* you could do it with either dried or fresh rose hips - boil the hips, then strain out the rose hips and use the liquid for your jelly. I dont know how many rose hips you would want to use to get the flavor right, but i think the ratio of "tea liquid" you're looking for is about 1 cup liquid to 5 cups sugar, and a box of pectin. Obviously, from my lack of specifics here, i havent done this but i think it would work!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have not made the jelly yet Mary! But SOON! I'm waiting until winter when the rosehips begin to turn red before I harvest, then into the freezer for a week before I peel & seed them. 1/2 will get soaked in honey and stored in the fridge as a vit C boost snack for me since I have the bad immune system, and the other half will be boiled down and smashed in the hot water to get all the good stuff out for jelly. I think 1/2 cups rose hips to 3 cups of water is a good ratio for flavor. Then I'll run the liquid through cheese cloth and use the juices for the jelly recipe. I'll be doing this recipe:

2 cups reserved rose hip juice
1 tsp lemon juice
1 package certo liquid pectin
4 cups of sugar

Bring rose & lemon juice to a boil with pectin for 1 minutes, then add the sugar. Bring back to a full boil for 1 minute or until it sheets off a spoon (220 degrees). Ladle into sterilized jars, lid and waterbath for 10 minutes.

Hope that helps! :)

monroele

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I always liked rose hip tea, but I did not know how to make it, so I googled it and found this

Preparation: Pick ripe rose hips after the first frost in the fall when they've turned bright orange or red. The frost helps sweeten the flavor. Trim off the stem and blossom ends, cut the hips in half and remove the seeds, then wash well.

Rose Hip Tea:
Prepare the rose hips as described above and place in a single layer on a drying screen. Allow to completely dry, then store in an air-tight jar in a cool, dark place. Hips may be used whole or slightly broken. Pour boiling water over the hips and allow to steep for 2 minutes. Strain.

Other recipes you may enjoy ...

Rose Hip Puree:
(this is from an old 16th century recipe used to make
rose hip tart)
1 1/2 cup prepared rose hips
3/4 cup water
2 T sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1 T lemon juice
Simmer the prepared rose hips in water until soft -- about 10-15 minutes. Stir in sugar, spices and lemon juice and simmer for 5 minutes. Use puree for tarts, ice cream toppings or to eat as a sauce.
(Great on chicken, pork and fish.)

Rose Hip Jam:
(this recipe has been around since the 1700s)
1 pound prepared rose hips (about 4 quarts)
1 cup of water
Sugar

In a large pan, add the rose hips and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until very soft--about 20 minutes (add more water if necessary). Press or strain the mixture through a sieve to remove any seeds and to reduce large chunks of the Rose Hips. Add one pound of sugar (about 3 1/2 cups) to one pound of pulp and simmer. Check the taste and add more sugar if desired. Cook until the mixture has thickened to jam-like consistency. Pour into sterilized jars and seal. This is good to eat when you have a sore throat.

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have more hips than I know what to do with so I will try the tea and the jelly! I will let you know who it went and the reception from the family upon tasting!!!

Thank you so much for the recipe!!!

Latest posts