Howdy from South Central Texas

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah-HA! Caught ya'll with all this tiny small stuff! :smack I like big steaks, so won't be getting any mini-cows! Hijacking a TEXAS thread to yak about miniature cows! :barnie

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok back to the thread. Sam, can you post a picture of your cows? Believe it or not, I have never touched a cow in my life. But I find ranching and farming facinating.

Mary

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Are they an heirloom breed? Endangered? Special in some way that puts them in demand?

The Limousin breed has been around for centuries in France although only about 50 yrs here...

We specialize in homozygous black, homozygous polled cattle (along with superior EPDs). Without some experience in genetics & EPDs, you probably wouldn't understand my full answer, so here is the 'cliff notes' version:
  • Black cattle sell for more money than red cattle.
  • Polled cattle (without horns) sell for more money than cattle with horns.
  • Homozygous means that an animal always passes down a certain phenotypic trait & this is confirmed by a DNA test.
Thus, a homozygous black, homozygous polled bull that is bred to a red horned cow will result in a black polled calf. This, along with other superior genetics (such as weaning weights/yearling weights), translates into a higher profit margins for the acquiring rancher. My bulls also have an established record for siring 95+% bull calves, which is very good at slaughter time.

Sam, can you post a picture of your cows? Believe it or not, I have never touched a cow in my life. But I find ranching and farming facinating.

LOL!!! Would you like to see the picture sequence of one being born??? If so, I can start a new thread (I just need to know where to put it... Everything Else Garden???).

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Limousin breed has been around for centuries in France although only about 50 yrs here...

We specialize in homozygous black, homozygous polled cattle (along with superior EPDs). Without some experience in genetics & EPDs, you probably wouldn't understand my full answer, so here is the 'cliff notes' version:
  • Black cattle sell for more money than red cattle.
  • Polled cattle (without horns) sell for more money than cattle with horns.
  • Homozygous means that an animal always passes down a certain phenotypic trait & this is confirmed by a DNA test.
Thus, a homozygous black, homozygous polled bull that is bred to a red horned cow will result in a black polled calf. This, along with other superior genetics (such as weaning weights/yearling weights), translates into a higher profit margins for the acquiring rancher. My bulls also have an established record for siring 95+% bull calves, which is very good at slaughter time.

LOL!!! Would you like to see the picture sequence of one being born??? If so, I can start a new thread (I just need to know where to put it... Everything Else Garden???).

Probably "Gardening with animals".

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok back to the thread. Sam, can you post a picture of your cows? Believe it or not, I have never touched a cow in my life. But I find ranching and farming facinating.

Mary
@w_r_ranch, ss Mary states, she is a city girl. Never smelled a horse, never touched a cow, probably never smelled a cow either. We do our best to educate her. She works wonders with her little part of the world though.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ninnymary it depends on the quality of the land and grass--the rocky ranches out where I live in Texas can only support one cow per 100 acres. Most folks who raise cattle around here have 2,000 to 5,000 acre ranches. Or, they raise goats instead.

Latest posts