How's everyone's potatoes going?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
Dh is growing taters in 5 gal buckets, he did 1 last year and it worked nicely just dump the bucket and there were the taters :ya

This year he has 5 buckets here they are as they had just sprouted about 2 weeks ago
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/5713_p1040248.jpg

And here is yesterday's photo of them well they are behind the fence garden
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/5713_p1040367.jpg

Here is one that I picked yesterday

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/5713_p1040358.jpg

I picked it while I was getting supper ready, right out of the bag of taters I had in the kitchen :gig

We have some sweet potato vines to go out too. :tools

:happy_flower Karan :D
Nice pictures Karan ;), especially the one that looks like a heart.
I've always wanted to plant potatoes in buckets or containers like that, just wondering could a 5 gallon bucket be too small, their only so much yield you could get, But its a great idea i think i'll try that.

Looks great!! :)

aidenbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just planted mine yesterday. We'll see how it goes. I'll be adding soil or hay to the mound where they are as they grow.

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine look beautiful and are flowering but I have not hilled them yet. Things have just been happening and I haven't been able to get more dirt to hill them with. I hope it is not too late already.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine are.. well were all the way to the top.. they are growing out of the top of my bin like pedlers.. I did two types of wire . .. field fencing and then chicken wire over the top .. the sandy soil is continuously falling out.. I am thinking I might try some of the buckets.. or line mybin with paper or something.. but they have flowered and then there is just green left.. it hasnet died off yet.. that is when your supposed to dump the barrel right?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine are flopping over the sides and covered in flowers. The flowers look almost exactly like my tomatoes... but white!

So pretty to look at actually. :D

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Just looked at mine this morning and they are getting ready to bloom.

Now if I remember right the potato's are ready after they bloom and the vine starts to dye off right???

I wish I could do sweet potatoes but have never had much luck even getting the slips to start. dang it.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mtn_penny said:
Just looked at mine this morning and they are getting ready to bloom.

Now if I remember right the potato's are ready after they bloom and the vine starts to dye off right?
Yep, about 2 weeks after the vine has died down they should be ready, these will be your storage potatoes. You could harvest "new potatoes" which are the baby potatoes i think once the vine flowers.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now, seeing a harvest is close in the future... when would be a good time to plant for a fall harvest?!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My fingerling potaotes are above ground by 2 inches. Time to cover them with more dirt and compost. Thanks for everyone's input! I've been reading and reading...this is the first time to grow potatoes. I just stuck them in the ground cut into chunks. Stupid me didn't read first so I planted them about 1 inch from the top of my row. By the time I'm done the row is going to be 3 feet high!!:lol:
I'm going to surround the row with taller chicken wire to keep the added stuff in place today.

:tools

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is a silly question for the experts, are fingerling potatoes really just young potatoes shaped like fingers? I just bought these to eat and they ended up being left in the fridge too long. They are growing great, so no problem. If they were left in the ground longer would they be really big fingerllings? :hu

Latest posts