How's everyone's potatoes going?

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Actually the first of mine flowered several weeks ago and they are no where near dying yet.

I think it can take longer then two weeks, right? It has been at LEAST three wees for mine, and they are still bright green and growing.

And my smaller ones flowered and are still little, like less then a foot tall. And they are not showing signs of dying yet either. (Except the blight they have :lol: we are fixing that)

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have never harvested before late Sept at the earliest. My plants are all growing and green and in various stages of flowering.
:rainbow-sun

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i only got one potato out of one of my beds.. I havent uncovered the other bed yet .. i guess I am giving it a little more time but stems are dead.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've only got about 100 square feet of potatoes. The Gold Rush and Yukon Golds had flopped over so they looked like the end of their growth was at hand. Besides, the peas were nearly finished and if I was going to have creamed peas and new potatoes this year . . . :p

Most of the bed is still there, green and upright so we'll see how they do over the next few weeks.

My harvest from 25 square feet was a little over 19 pounds. Since 25 sqft is .0006 of an acre, that's a yield of something over 30,000 pounds/acre or 15 tons !!

That's less than the average yield in the Idaho russet growing counties of the state (far to the south of my home) but the productivity of the lowly spud is pretty amazing to me. I told DD that a potato garden covering as much ground as the average home could easily produce enuf for a 4 person family.

I'm looking forward to digging up the remainder of the bed. Of course, that's an added excitement to growing potatoes - you don't know what you've got until the season is over and you start digging :)!

Steve

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
None of my potatoe plants produced and all but one plant has died. Angy at potatoes right now.

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the mice got to my potato bins and so we had to disassemble that.. but the 4 plants in holes in the ground that we gradually filled up as they grew are doing well.. I think. Green and happy. I figured it would be weeks more before we could even THINK about digging for potatoes

seems like everyone dug theirs up so soon :/

have I waited too long? :rolleyes:

kmarlar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have pulled up about 60 lbs of potatoes from first 50 ft row....Have 4 rows to go!!!! Luv them Yukon Golds

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
have I waited too long?
Dawn, if your plants are still green they should still be growing. Some varieties are early and won't make it into the fall or maybe not even late summer.

Like kmarlar, it is my Yukon Golds that are especially early.

The later they go, the easier you should have it with winter storage.

DW said that we would have Yukon Golds for dinner - then when the moment came, she quickly boiled some fresh broccoli and zapped frozen eggrolls . . . :rolleyes: . . . It's tuff to even think about a potato casserole in the oven during the hottest time of the year.

Steve

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, I guess I'll just keep plugging along and wait for it to die off or turn yellow, which is what I was expecting.

I have yukon golds and some red potatoes too.. I hope they come out well!

My sweet potato vines are growing like crazy.. I only hope there are sweet potatoes underneath that sea of leaves. :fl

Latest posts