Huckleberries

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone grow them? Any hints? TN nursery will sell me 50 2-3’ starts for same price as 10 individuals. Strongly considering then just sell extras.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
do you have acidic moist conditions? that's normally the kind of habitat for many of these types of plants will do best in.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are these the huckleberries that make a small understory tree? If so, can you post the link please? I have just a few trees and would like to plant more.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are these the huckleberries that make a small understory tree? If so, can you post the link please? I have just a few trees and would like to plant more.
My question as well. I've seen garden huckleberries, which are started & grown much like tomatoes. Very impressive plants, especially in late summer when most of the leaves fall off & the numerous clusters of large black berries are visible on bare stems. I may grow a plant or two just for fun, whether I actually eat them or not.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've always snacked on the wild huckleberries I see while hiking in the Pacific Northwest! They are so good! Just growing in the wild here, I've seen salmon berries, huckleberries, 2 types of wild blackberries, salal berries, and thimble berries.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The name huckleberry gets a little confusing.
I think some of the huckleberries some of you are talking about are not the same as what we in the PNW call hucks.
Do you have a botanical name for the ones you're interested in Seed?

What we have growing wild here locally are Vaccinium membranaceum, I think. They grow at 2000' to 11000'. There also seems to be a wide collection of different wild varieties, all in the Vaccineum genus. Which are close to regular old blueberries. But the wild ones here cannot, or at least have not, succeeded being grown in a garden setting.
As far as I can tell, PNWestern, and Eastern hucks are both in the Ericacea family. But ours are then Vaccineum genus.
And more than that I don't know. This is probably unimportant blathering.
I remember this subject coming up before, in fact I think it was you Seed, that posted about them once before and I looked into what defined a huckleberry. And it seems it was just as confusing then. I do know that @baymule 's huckleberries and my huckleberries are not the same plant.

What was your original question?:D
Oh yeah, well the larger quantity is the better deal, so that's what I would do if I were you. Hope you have good success with them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score

Western huckleberries are different than what we use.

Now thinking of growing garden huckleberries. Did when I was a kid. Can’t believe how well they yielded. We did not know how to cook. Raw-they are terrible. Sounds like done correct, they are good.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
q=CHICHIQUELITE+HUCKLEBERRY

Anyone know anything about these? Supposedly sweet? Can be eaten raw or cooked.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never grown them. However, while searching for more info, I can't help noticing that it is listed on different sites as several different species. That means someone doesn't know what they have; and since some list it as S. nigrum (black nightshade) which looks very similar, I'd be careful to order from a reputable & knowledgeable source. Baker Creek is one of those describing it as S. nigrum.

BTW I've placed an order for Garden Huckleberry, just to satisfy my curiosity. :D Some of the reviews for chichiquelite mention that birds spread the seeds & they had volunteers everywhere... I sure hope the Garden Huckleberry doesn't have that problem.

Latest posts