Huckleberry Festival

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife and I drove to Bingen, Wa. on the Columbian River Gorge this last Saturday ( yesterday) . Population 700. They have an annual Huckleberry festival to celebrate the wild Huckleberries that grow in the area. After the parade there were many (at least 30 ) vendors and only ONE vendor that sold the wild picked Huckleberries at the park. We bought one 11 fl. oz. of Huckleberry syrup ... the Label says contains real fruit, no artificial colors or flavors. Then the listed ingredients : Coquille huckleberries, corn syrup, sugar , citric acid, xenthan gums, sodium benizoate. No percentage listed so I don't know how much of the actual berries vs. corn syrup and sugar etc. that is contained . .This for the low low price of $8.00. :hu They also had a couple as in = 2 of 1 gallon plastic bags of Huckleberries weighing in at 2 lbs. for the really low, low price of $ 45.00. :ep Regular sized Pies at $ 23.00 (about a dozen ). :th How come. Vendor said that a buyer from Colorado is buying up all of the fruit that is harvested in the N W. Also, the Huckleberry plants grow only in certain higher elevation of evergreen tree areas in the wild AND they do NOT take to commercial or backyard cultivation . Out of 3,000 - 4,000 plants grown from seed, only 4-6 survive, then of these they may live a year or two and die without any berry production. :idunno

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Driving on the winding mountain road of Hwy 14 along the Columbia River , one can see MANY floats with hooks and lines attached to the floats and all spaced about 20 yards apart by lines just a few yards from shore as well as gill nets here and there set by the Indian tribes to catch Salmon. These floats and nets are on both sides of the Columbia River streatching for about 70 miles that we drove from Vancouver, Wa. to Binden, Wa. We also saw several wood platforms set just off shore for hand net fishing for Salmon. I saw maybe 3-4 dozen boats with sport fishermen in boats with one rod and real per person stretching from Vancouver , Wa. to the Columbia River Gorge and dam.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wait a minute, @bobm ! Coquille is on the Oregon coast. Huckleberries in the coast range? I'm showing my ignorance if there are ... maybe in Siskiyous? Understand that there is quite a fire down there on the border.

Your list of ingredients reminds me of what is on the KFC packets I was looking at ...

Huckleberries are the same price here. With me looking for them, I'm sure I could a shirt pocket :).

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Huckleberries are plentiful here this year, and the going price on craigslist is $45-$50 for a gallon ziploc. I'm definitely not selling the 1 gallon in my freezer!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wait a minute, @bobm ! Coquille is on the Oregon coast. Huckleberries in the coast range? I'm showing my ignorance if there are ... maybe in Siskiyous? Understand that there is quite a fire down there on the border.

Your list of ingredients reminds me of what is on the KFC packets I was looking at ...

Huckleberries are the same price here. With me looking for them, I'm sure I could a shirt pocket :).

Steve
Steve, the town of Bingen, Wa. is on the Wa. side of the Cascade Mountains on the Columbia River where the Columbia Gorge is and way over 100 miles from the Coast. ( about 70 miles and East from Vancouver, Wa. to Binden, Wa. ;)

Latest posts