huge asparagus

donna13350

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
okay...so here is this beast...it is very tender and tastes great. I have never seen another asparagus anywhere near this size...is it just me or are there other huge asparagus out there?
I counted 9 edible shoots on this, and they all get well over an inch in diameter. If this is special, I'd like to find a way to clone it or maybe even start breeding it with another heirloom. I have the variety "colossal", and it's nowhere near the size of this. Thoughts?

DSCN4621.JPG
DSCN4623.JPG

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew asparagus (Martha Washington) from seed started inside and set out in a kiddie pool last spring. I set it out in a 4 x 100 ft row in the fall. There was no way to separate the roots so I cut the root wad with a spade, ensuring I had a good crown in each spade full.

Everyone who seen it growing in the kiddie pool asked what is that? I would answer Asparagus and their jaw would drop 😂

I need to clean out the cattle corral and dump it in the asparagus row. Waiting for the cattle corral to dry out some first, the manure is pretty deep in there.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
okay...so here is this beast...it is very tender and tastes great. I have never seen another asparagus anywhere near this size...is it just me or are there other huge asparagus out there?
I counted 9 edible shoots on this, and they all get well over an inch in diameter. If this is special, I'd like to find a way to clone it or maybe even start breeding it with another heirloom. I have the variety "colossal", and it's nowhere near the size of this. Thoughts?

View attachment 57551View attachment 57552
Is it still tender even though it has a large diameter?

donna13350

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score

ducks4you...this is very,very late for us. We've had a very cold wet spring. We have a frost warning for tonight...in 30+ years of gardening here, I've never had my garden go in this late. Even if tonight is the last of the frost, it's still going to be days till the soil warms enough to plant.​

I could've planted my broccoli and cabbage, but usually it get way too hot and they bolt, so I plant them as a fall crop...i just hope we have a long warm fall this year...this weather is driving me nuts, I can't rely on it to even be warm in the spring !

Latest posts