Hugelculture Bed

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looking good Bay! I'm curious as to how this will work out for you as well. When would you start planting on it?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red it has big oak trunks on the bottom. Almost all the wood is oak. Only a few pieces of pine in there. All of it dead, most already laying on the ground.

@Nyboy rattlesnakes love wood piles. Haven't seen one yet, but my Great Pyrenees, Paris, killed a copperhead in the back yard.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary I have chickens. 5 old hens and 6 pullets that should start laying next month.

I have lots more pictures to post. After waiting all this time for internet, my laptop just crapped out on me. Please insert ALL the angry smilies here as I am back on my stupid phone. (More angry smilies )

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
How long will those trees take to decompose
I think I read it has to sit for a couple of years. The longer the better.
Bay ... after you make that wood pile ( you might want to add some volcanic ash- I hear tell that it has great makings for great soil ), and bury it, sit back in your rocking chair, sip a mint julep and write a note to your granddaughters detailed directions on how to plant a garden on what should be newly created organic soil. Wouldn't it be more enjoyable and better to harvest some wild hogs, set fire to the logs and have a neighborhood hog roast party ? Then when the logs become ashes, till them into the soil and you can have a crop in your new garden next year. new garden next spring, fewer hogs to raid your garden ( they are more destructive then cottontail rabbits ) ... WIN, WIN !!!

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do have a burn pile. Waiting on rain. There is. 1,000 acres behind us that is not only high fenced, but offset the property line with 3' of wire laid flat and hog ringed to the fence. They have exotic deer and the wire skirt keeps dogs and coyotes from digging in. The high wire effectively stops hogs from passing through our place. We hear coyotes across the road. But I like your hog roast idea, just no wild hogs nearby. I'm not complaining either.

Working on a permanent garden fence, getting 3 feeder pigs in few weeks. Gonna run a hot wire around inside the fence and raise them in the garden. I'll be tossing organic matter in with them, for the pigs to till in for me. WIN WIN-they fertilize the garden AND plow it up for me. Plus we EAT them!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, It just may be very helpull if you can bring in as many rain damaged hay bales as you can get... free to the taking from hay farmers / dealers. Place them into your new garden area and let your feeder hogs go hog wild in them to work them into your sandy soil. Organic matter added to soil,moisture retention, added nutrients too . Also add as much of your road apples to fertilize the garden too ... WIN WIN.

Latest posts