Humming Birds? - Zone 6a

hjsullivan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hey there!

I live just north of Boston in a city called Woburn.
I'm interested in setting up a humming bird feeder, but not even sure if they are in my area.

Any ideas or suggestions?

kthanks
h

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I bet they are. Ruby throated hummers have a wide range. Just be sure you use real sugar (I prefer real cane sugar, that way you aren't using GMO sugar beets. C & H is at the grocery store) Use in a 1 to 4 ratio with hot water to dissolve, cool and put in the feeder. Store excess in the fridge. I haven't seen any hummers at my house yet. I usually see them around the 15th. Getting anxious!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
And tie or hang a large red object above the feeder so it can be spotted from a distance.

We saw the first hummer here at a feeder on Saturday. DH spotted it and exclaimed "there's a hummer!" and I leapt up and got the rest of the feeders filled and hung. It was one of our regulars because he went right to the shepherds hook where we always hang a feeder. But there wasn't one there yet.
I only hang a couple out until we know for certain they've arrived so I don't waste so much hummer juice.
We spotted him a few more times that day, but not even once since. :(

Another thing to keep in mind is that the sugar solution should be changed at least every 3 days and the feeder rinsed out well. They can get a fungus on their beaks from sugar water gone bad, and also from honey, so never use that in your mix.

hjsullivan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
tie or hang a large red object above the feeder
I've read about this and have even seen some red feeders. I've also seen other feeders that claim to attract the birds. I like the way the red antique style feeders look. What do you think of those? I want to hang a ant trap above the feeder too.

sugar solution should be changed at least every 3 days and the feeder rinsed out well
I had no idea! Good info! Perhaps it's wise for me to only fill a quarter or half way full?

thanks!
h

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
They like tubular flowers such as sages and salvias. They also love trumpet vine but I'm not sure if you have that in your area.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Don't plant trumpet vine--impossible to get rid of it!
If you want, buy the new hybrid Rose of Sharon that doesn't try to create a forest from it's seeds every year. They love their flowers and the flowers grow tall enough for you to see the hummingbirds. Sometimes you already have them, but you don't notice them that low to the ground.
https://www.almanac.com/content/plants-attract-hummingbirds

hjsullivan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
doesn't try to create a forest from it's seeds
:lol:

I actually did a Google search and found the Mass Audubon has an entire page on their site for hummingbirds! They also have a bunch of recommenced flowers for attracting them!

Here is the list:
Great plants to attract hummingbirds to your garden include: bee balm (Monarda), native honeysuckle vine (Lonicera sempivirens), or pink turtlehead (Chelone lyonii). These perennials are easy to grow and look great together. You could also add some bright colored annuals—phlox, salvia, snapdragon, or fuchsia, for example—to ensure a good assortment of blooms throughout the season.

Here is the link:
http://www.massaudubon.org/learn/na...-ohbAi5rAdEgOLBdEldi-sNo1dgZiZcbykaAq2b8P8HAQ

I also just learned that I should put my feeder out within the next couple weeks! I'll definitely look for a bright red one and be planting some of the flowers listed above. Do any of you have photos to share of hummingbirds in your area?

thanks again!
h

Latest posts