Hummingbird moths

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I get them too. I don't know if they damage anything, at least, I've never noticed any. They aren't very numerous in my garden, so if they do damage I probably wouldn't know.

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What what I gather online, they seem to be pollinators which is good, but eat plants while still a worm = bad.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What CarolDee said. THey make the nasty, ugly, tomato eating, dinosaur looking horn worms. I had to buy a long grabber stick so I could pick em and toss em in the pen for my chickens to do battle with. *shiver*..ugh :sick

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd let them live, elsewhere. If a bird doesn't get to it first then a wasp may come along and lay some eggs in it then you have more predators and pollinators.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I thought they were horn worms too, last summer I gave a lot of them to my chickens! I wonder what their larva looks like? I hope they dont get worst !

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05517.html
If you haven't checked out this site, do. It shows the stages and food sources for the moth and the hornworm.
Petey I NEED one of those gadgets, I can not stand to hand pick them. I REALLY need some chickens or ducks to feed them to. :p (I guess I could drop themin a bucket and dump them into a friends chicken coop on my way home. Make that a LIDDED bucket.)

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
If you haven't checked out this site, do. It shows the stages and food sources for the moth and the hornworm.
Petey I NEED one of those gadgets, I can not stand to hand pick them. I REALLY need some chickens or ducks to feed them to. :p (I guess I could drop themin a bucket and dump them into a friends chicken coop on my way home. Make that a LIDDED bucket.)
make it a metal lidded bucket...with a padlock.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
peteyfoozer said:
Carol Dee said:
make it a metal lidded bucket...with a padlock.
:gig :lol: :lol: I see you like them as much as i do. YUCK :sick

Latest posts