Hungarian Yellow peppers (hot) - suggestions?

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So our Hungarian hot peppers are going nuts... and that's from a container!

Anyway, we've never grown them before so I'm not sure what to do with them. I've seen some pickling recipes but would prefer to use them fresh if possible.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
Andrew

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Use like you would any pepper. Don't like the heat, take the seeds and ribs out.

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks guys -

I don't mind the heat... like it, actually, but I've never tried this kind of pepper.

They do turn beautiful hues after picking, though... almost a shame to eat them!

Note: it just seems WRONG to put Hungarian peppers on tacos :)

mare

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My parents, who are Hungarian, make what they call Letcho with it. They fry the peppers up until soft and add tomatoes. Let it simmer for about 15min and your done. They usually put this over cooked rice. They also stuff the pepper with saurkraut and pickle them.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am so glad to hear that your peppers are doing well. Mine haven't really take hold yet. I am not even sure that my bells are going to survive. Good news is when you have so many if you make something you don't like you have plenty to keep working with.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mare, maybe you could help with this. Which peppers are used to make Paprika? Would the Hungarian hot peppers work or is that a special pepper? I'd think dry them, remove the seeds since they probably have oils in them and will turn rancid, then after they are really powder dry, run them through a blender. Could be an interesting spice.

mare

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ridgerunner-I'll have to ask my parents about which pepper makes Paprika. I don't think its the Hungarian hot pepper. I'll let you know what I find out.

Okay I found out. You can use anything from a sweet red bell pepper all the way to the hot ones. So you can use the Hungarian hot pepper or there is a variety called Kolosca that is a mild pepper. Allow peppers to turn red before drying and grinding. Snip them off the plant and hang them to dry in direct sun. You may also use a dehydrator but be sure to remove stems and seeds first. Allow the pods to dry until they turn very brittle and then grind them up. You can use a coffee grinder (I recommend not using the grinder for coffee anymore)

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For some uses (salsa, tacos, etc) they seem too mild to me, but I'm into hot peppers and unique pepper tastes so that's a subjective assessment. I use them anywhere I'd otherwise use a bell pepper but where I want less watery flesh... meatloaf, on pizza, in salad, chili, or just eat it fresh cut into strips. Deep fried, some cream cheese on it, in soup, or if they're large enough they can be stuffed h'orderves.

With mine it sometimes depends on who might eat them, I've had larger variabilities in the heat level of this pepper type than most others, ranging from barely hot to about the same as an average (full strength, not americanized/mild type) jalapeno, with no telltale signs how hot it will be till you taste it (though if you see a fair amount of oil all over the placenta around the seeds you're fairly sure it's not going to be especially mild).

Paprika, they aren't so suitable for because their flavor density is lower than most other hot peppers and besides the heat the overall flavor is more neutral, though that increases a little if you leave them to ripen to an orange or redder hue. You could do it, but I don't feel it'd be interchangeable with what people normally call paprika. There is a different type of hungarian pepper more often used for paprika, it has more of a spicy taste in addition to sweet and mild heat and ripens far further into a deeper shade of red than a hungarian yellow wax does.

Latest posts