Hurray! for spring!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
flowercow.gif

I can't complain at all. Well it was 27 this morning in the milking shed!!
Good thing I take warm water with me to wash off the girls!

Even with temps in the low 30's at night here, my nasturtiums are still alive!! No flowers on them yet.
My wild violets are going crazy!!
1312013WildViolets001email_zpse605c2dc.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I love those wild violets! When I see them, I know spring can't be far off. There is a moment, before I mow for the first time- when my backyard is covered with purple and white ones. So pretty. Thanks for sharing that pic!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ohhhhh! Flash from the past! Those violets were a favorite of my mother. In fact, those we had at every place we lived came originally from her mother to my aunt Eleanor. Ours were actually a strain of their own. My mother's mother was born in actually West Virginia, (though they thought they were in Kentucky...how about that!), and when she moved to Minnesota when she was eight, (that would be 1896), she brought the violets with her. They were slightly different than these. The flowers were a touch smaller and most were under the leaves. They did their own seeding too. About probably one of 16 plants made even smaller white flowers, and also about one of 16 plants made slightly polka dotted speckled flowers.

My parents moved to a different place while I was in college and they were left there. They grew all around the border of the house. All I can hope is they are still there 35 years later.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Supposed to snow here this week. I can hardly get indoor oats to sprout, it's so annoying.

Latest posts