hurry get your application in...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Antarctique_La_base_de_Port-9c101d03e6787eafa6f9fd65a9bad8e7

Are you in good shape? Able to carry a big, heavy box over slippery rocks and slushy snow? Happy not to shower for up to a month, live in close proximity to three people and 2,000 smelly penguins for five months with no power, heat or hot water and limited communications on a small island off the coast of Antarctica?

If so, we have the job for you!

The U.K. Antarctic Heritage Trust is looking for assistants to help run its post office museum and gift shop at Port Lockroy, located on Goudier Island off the Antarctic Peninsula.

Applications are currently being accepted for up to four full-time seasonal positions at the remote outpost, which is visited each summer (November through March) by 18,000 people — who come by boat twice a day — and processes about 70,000 pieces of mail. Applications are due on Feb. 27.

You don't need to have post office experience to apply, but you do need an unusual skillset:

Can you demonstrate that you have most or all of the following?
• Good physical and medical fitness
• Confidence — can you give a talk without aids to 200 people and represent the UKAHT ‘live’ on TV and radio!
• Retail experience with good customer focus
• Competence and confidence with spreadsheet design and formulae
• Hands on DIY/practical skills — can you use hand tools proficiently?
• Coordination — can you carry a big heavy box over slippery rocks and slushy snow whilst dodging penguins?
• Environmental awareness and practical knowledge of minimum impact living
• Practical knowledge of another language as well as English

Do you possess the following attributes?
• Ability to get on with it. Can you identify what needs doing and get on and do it without having to be asked, whether it be washing up, sweeping the floor or digging snow?
• Quick learner – can you take an instruction in person or in writing and get on and do it efficiently?
• Awareness of your surroundings/situation
• Initiative – can you think on your feet and act?
• Adaptability to different situations – Are you happy not to shower for up to a month, live in close proximity to three people and 2,000 smelly penguins for five months?

As well as being passionate about the Antarctic. You need to be:
• Personable – do you value getting on with others? Can you live and work with just three others for five months and be friendly and cooperative throughout?
• Positive – can you enthuse to visitors when it is -5C° and blowing a blizzard as well as cook supper cheerfully after a long cold day and very little sleep?
• Conscientious – will you be doing your best day in day out for 5 months?
• Meticulous – can you keep accurate records be it penguin eggs, t-shirts, or food stock?

Prospective staffers must also be "prepared to be on call and smiling for all waking hours, seven days a week."

Not that you'd sleep, anyway. The average temperature on the island is about 36 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer, with almost 24 hours of sunlight.

The "smelly penguins" in question, gentoos, established a colony on the island in the mid-1980s and are the subject of an ongoing study by the British Antarctic Survey. As a result, half of the tiny island is off-limits to staff and visitors — which is why you must be "happy to be confined to a small island with no prospect of climbing the surrounding peaks."

The position pays about £1,100 (or $1,250) a month. Those selected for an interview will need to be available May 11 to 12 in Cambridge; successful applicants will need to be available for an additional five days of training in September.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
ummmmm.......
no.
i'm fed up with looking at white stuff and dealing with the cold the past 2 1/2 months. unless they have a BIG greenhouse for me to enjoy there is noway you will catch me going for that job!

eta: that should be a BIG HEATED GREENHOUSE! :p

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
but think of all the penguin poop you could scoop up and ship back being the post master, once back you would have the most beautiful/ health garden of anybody...
have to agree a greenhouse would have to be a must.!!!!!!!!!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
only if they supply all the jack daniels and coke i can drink <think i can find my own ice>
but the biggest question you have to ponder......... does dominos deliver with in 30 minutes?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
hum lets see how i would rate for this job...........
1.Good physical and medical fitness...can do a 12oz curl no problem.
2.Competence and confidence with spreadsheet design and formulae...theres no "e" in formula
3.Coordination — can you carry a big heavy box over slippery rocks and slushy snow whilst dodging penguins?.... well if i slip i hope theres a penguin to break my fall.
4.Practical knowledge of another language as well as English..... if you can't speak english don't waste my time.
5.Adaptability to different situations – Are you happy not to shower for up to a month, live in close proximity to three people and 2,000 smelly penguins for five months?
....well if you stink worse than the penguins your out the door.
6.Personable – do you value getting on with others? Can you live and work with just three others for five months and be friendly and cooperative throughout?...go back to respond to question 5.
7. Positive – can you enthuse to visitors when it is -5C° and blowing a blizzard as well as cook supper cheerfully after a long cold day and very little sleep? ...
no i don't have a extra smoke, no im not going to share this roasted penguin.

guess this job will not pan out for me......:gig

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No thanks! Death by hypothermia was the last way that I wanted to go, death by icicle coming in second. I wouldn't be fit for the job anyway. That and you have to think that low-impact living up here were it's warm is another thing on some resource-barren island off of the coast of Antarctica.

Sounds like the beginning of a horror movie. "Man takes job in Antarctica only to have WW3 start back home. He's trapped in the frozen wilderness and has to survive against all odds, nobody to save him. After 5 years he runs out of vegetable seeds. (insert number here) years later he somehow makes it back home, only to find..." That would actually make a good movie.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
well seedo theres the.
book ordeal by hunger about the donner party getting stranded in the sierras
and the movie "alive" where soccer players had to resort to eat the unfortunate members to survive.
but lets keep this on a happier note..

Latest posts