Hyacinths With No Scent

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have forced several Hyacinth bulbs in water. I staggered them so they flower at different times. 2 are in flower now and have no scent, I have asked 2 other people to smell them. Does forcing in water stop them from being scented? DSCF0457.JPG

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Beats me. I've bought them already forced and they smelled nice. The only alternative is to start in soil in a pot. I did that because I didn't get a single bulb in the ground last Fall, and when I looked at the bulbs that I had bought, and forgotten about, left in a dry feed bowl in my barn, but they were sprouting, I figured that they didn't need Great soil, just leftover and loose for the roots. I'm not sure what they bulbs get out of just water. Maybe you could add some indoor plant fertilizer?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are they in a cold window? I think when they are warm the smell is stronger, but even in the cold, they should smell some. I doubt if being in water versus soil has anything to do with the lack of scent.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hyacinths smell always. White - most powerful, blue - is weaker. It is strange that there is no odor. Put them in the heat.

Latest posts