Hydrangea Blossoms.

backintime

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Aquarose, the link you provided was awesome - best info I've ever read about caring for various hydrangeas. THANK YOU!!!

And there are trade-offs for the tipping-over thing . . . when people drive up to our office/house they are SPEECHLESS at the sheer number and size of the creamy flowers. And nothing could be more carefree. I planted 6 of them along one side of the house about 7 years ago and haven't touched them (or fertilized) since, except to chop them off before winter each year. Lots of flowers with virtually NO effort on my part. And we live in northern Wisconsin, where winters are harsh and the soil is pure sand. Be sure to remind me of all this when I'm sobbing over my flattened beauties . . .

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i have a lot of hydrangeas too. i rooted all the ones i have. they are super easy to root. most of mine are from my moms blue lacecap. apparently the ph around my house varies though b/c the ones on the north are blue and the ones are the south are more of a pinkypurplish color (that i'm not impressed with!). one i potted in potting soil is a nice pink color though.

i also have a white one that i rooted from my grandmothers.

my mom has some oak leaf hydrangeas that are a real nuisance. they are about to take over her flowerbed and she has even sprayed them with roundup.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i just take cuttings about this time of year whenever they have the big fat new growth buds on them and stick those in a pot of dirt and keep them moist and in part shade. my mom normally prunes hers right after they bloom and i have taken some of those that have laid around for several days and rooted them before. i hear they are easy to root in water too but ive never rooted any in water. i dont put any rooting hormone on them or anything, just water them. not all of them root but most of them do. they say that you shouldnt transplant them the first year after youve rooted them though.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Beefy. I think I will create a screen at the back of my property with hydrangeas. I will start potting up my cuttings as soon as possible!

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh, and I took my DD to precollege today in Baltimore and there were climbing hydrangeas growing up the sides of the dorm. They weren't blooming yet, but the vines looked beautiful. Anybody have experience with these?

SJ1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Aren't hydrangeas wonderful! I have a blue bell, a lace cap, and two wilsons. They're still smallish plants, but doing well.

Latest posts