Hydrangeas??

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I need suggestions /ideas on getting mine to bloom!
In 2005, I planted a doz. different var. thru out my yard.. Some are still tiny, some are large, lush and bright green but only the Annebella var. has bloomed. I have pruned (or not )each var. when suggested. And still no blooms. Most are protected by the house or a building, some facing each direction. 05/06, I protected them thru the winter--no blooms. 06/07, I didn't still no blooms. 07 we had a terrible drought and I water only the new plantings..which meant they didn't get any... 08 they are all alive and well--but some aren't much larger than they were when planted 3yrs ago..

Will composted chicken poop be ok around them??

Thank you for any help..Dixie

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hydrangeas do love rich soil but NOT too much nitrogen, so the chicken manure might not be the best idea. This does produce a ton of leaves but no flowering.

They also enjoy full sun and too much shade will make them not bloom.

Can you describe how much you pruned? And when?

Also what zone are you in?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The ones that haven't grown more than likely have a problem with their roots. One common scenario is that the plant's potbound with circling roots when you bought it. Unless a vigorous (yet careful) effort is made to disentangle and spread them out in the planting hole, sometimes they will just continue to circle round and round til the plant runs out of steam and dwindles into death. If you catch it early enough you can sometimes dig these up, spread the roots and replant. I don't *know* that's your problem, but it is a good possibility.

For the larger ones, if they are what should be blooming size for their cultivar, OaklandCityFarmer's suggestion of too much N is a pretty good one. Worth pursuing anyhow.

Good luck,

Pat

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
zone 7, not so great sandy loam, most get bright sun for approx. 5 hrs a day.

Each var. is pruned differently according to directions-the ones that bloom on new wood is pruned in the fall.. the ones that bloom on last yr. wood is pruned after they bloom.. I have always fert. with Miracle Gro but have aged manure being offered to me..I am think of doing a top dressing around each plant to see what happens..

I have an Annebella that I got from a neigbors bush--planted in the same direction, same type of soil etc.. and her's blooms like crazy--I might get three blooms!