I actually know the answer to this one. Do you??

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
S6304288.JPG

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
mamosa... evil and invasive here... damages our septic systems and wells too easily... just like a weeping willow.

It looks like some kind of fern.... I need fern... that's what I am lacking! :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
jojo54 said:
It kind of looks like a vetch.
Actually, there are some Mimosa vines . . .

But, I don't see any of the "stickers" that are along the stems of briar so I'm going with some kind of Mimosa tree or shrub.

Punkin, it's interesting to see the contrast between your environment and mine. There's probably not a representative of this species outdoors anywhere within 1,000 miles of my home.

Palms? What are palms ;)?

Steve

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
S6304287.JPG

I don't know if this picture helps at all. But y'all are too smart for me. It's just a baby mimosa. ;) Mimosas are normal and prolific here - but not invasive. Not so normal that i don't treasure them and really want a big one to grow up in my yard. :fl

This is one of the babies that i purposely avoided with the lawn mower last time i mowed (which has been a while). I'm hoping that if i leave it alone, it will really take root and grow gangbusters in the spring. These are uneducated hopes - but hopes.

Mimosas's are so beautiful! And since we have bees in our hopes and dreams, native plants that flower are beneficial and desirable.

Steve, i thought the same thing about the palms. Well, people grow them, but they look funny HERE. I've seen those little growths a lot, but i've never seen them do anything but exactly that....which is why i thought they were some kind of flower that just wasn't blooming.

The palms are a bird poop fluke.

But i :love :love :love :love :love Mimosas!

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Just a thought about how not to mow baby trees, unless you have a fantastic memory and are the only one who ever operates the lawn mower... tomato cages, or some other sturdy all enclosing, highly visible barrier! My DH, and occasionally my overly mowing addicted neighbor, have been known to whack the same plants I just showed them. I started caging them until they are big enough to be recognizable as a real plant. I've got some cages that look like survivors of a nuclear attack, but the plants are doing fine. :mow

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
good idea. :D

though i am generally the mower and will leave entire patches unmowed to save some dewberry vines. :rolleyes: maybe the tomato cages would help. ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny how critters that are native in one location are considered "invasives" somewhere else. I've long admired Russian olives but in Utah, they are taking over the canyons and crowding out native species.

Well, that's "the Russians are coming, the Russians are coming . . ."

Robinia (rose acacia) maybe shouldn't be on anyone's landscape list. It sure is pretty in bloom. I didn't know until recently that it is a native of the American Southeast but an invasive everywhere else.

Kind of like House Finches, I guess, if I've finally got this straight: They are native birds of Mexico and the Intermountain West but were an introduced species to the east coast. The 2 populations met somewhere in Omaha . . . or wherever, a few decades ago and decided to fly north and invade Canada!
:ep

Steve

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
desertcat said:
Just a thought about how not to mow baby trees, unless you have a fantastic memory and are the only one who ever operates the lawn mower... tomato cages, or some other sturdy all enclosing, highly visible barrier! My DH, and occasionally my overly mowing addicted neighbor, have been known to whack the same plants I just showed them. I started caging them until they are big enough to be recognizable as a real plant. I've got some cages that look like survivors of a nuclear attack, but the plants are doing fine. :mow
Yesterday, I was visiting a neighbour and she was saying she uses plastic mikl jugs that she cuts the bottom off so she can weedwhack and not damage young bushes of trees. She has one side slit open so as they get bigger, she can slip them off without damaging the plant.

Latest posts