I broke the wheel barrow!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I broke it and couldn't be more THRILLED about it! I hated that cheap plastic thing. :smack

So to make for a GOOD day, I'm going to buy a new wheel barrow this week (ok, used off craigslist, but its new to me) AND the best part... I'm building a chicken tractor so I get to use the wheels off the old wheel barrow now for the tractor for easier moving around the yard.

Blessing in disguise!!! hahaha :weee

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Somehow we have THREE wheelborrows around. They should all be rolled into the gully and ONE good one bought. :p One plastic one has a hole burned in the bottom (long story - ask DH.) Other plastic one is cracked. The metal one is SO old, banged out of shape, rusting and handles give you splinters. Happy you will be getting a new one. :lol:

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You know I want pics of that Chicken tractor. As a matter of fact, in stages of building...Pleeeeeeeeease!

farmettehopeful

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ours is a hand me down from my dad and the handles are duct taped to stop the splinters!! I might have a lil redneck in me :idunno but I wasn't about to buy a brand new one for $90! It's great that you located one on craigslist!!!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
you can go to the local hardware store and get new handles for your wheel barrows. when we bought our house we had 2 that were left behind. one that had a flat tire and dried cement but the handles were still good. the other the tire was good the barrow was good but the handles were both broken. both were metal so i wanted to keep the better parts to piece together one good working barrow! though i only use it rarely since i got my 4 wheeled wagon.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
Somehow we have THREE wheelborrows around. They should all be rolled into the gully and ONE good one bought. :p One plastic one has a hole burned in the bottom (long story - ask DH.) Other plastic one is cracked. The metal one is SO old, banged out of shape, rusting and handles give you splinters. Happy you will be getting a new one. :lol:
Oh Carol, the metal one sounds wonderful! I've been hoping to find one like that to plant something in. Never see one at yard sales. Maybe I'll just have to keep checking craigslist. The only problem there is that everything is an hour away. :(

Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was going to say, Home Depot sells the wood hands for ALL the yard tool pretty inexpensive so you don't have to replace the whole thing.

This plastic piece of #@%^ was a hand me down when we moved in, we had NO yard equipment at all!

I guess I should post pictures of the tractor project. Keep in mind, its being built by ME (I am TERRIBLE at building things) and its going to be made from spare scraps laying around the yard and house. I need a quick piece together coop for my meat birds. Doesn't have to be great, it just has to work. :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I lived in Montana I actually made a wheelbarrow with wood, a length of cuttable ready screw for an axle, an old wheelbarrow wheel and an old wheelbarrow bucket. It worked pretty good for around the house. I left it in Twin Bridges when I moved.

Last year I bought a 10 cubic foot wheelbarrow with the heavy duty plastic main bucket. That's over a third of a yard with each full load! The wheels are dual in front for easier balancing, and here's another bonus...the wheels are flatproof, some new kind of semipneumatic plastic rubber, and the wheels are nice and tall and wide. 129 clams though, but worth it. I travel up and down hills with that puppy, and a metal one would have killed me. I can run it over so many nails, spikes and glass they'd be sticking out the wheels, and have no flat! Lol! that's never happened...

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My DH just remodeled my old wheelbarrow last month, new handles, tire. It works like new. He has found old parts of another since we moved here and is making a flat cart out of it to move some wood, etc.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Retiredwith4acres, it sounds like you have a
Smart
Husband

Latest posts