I can't believe it! (Whoops)

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well, I guess this is my newbie-ness showing . . .

I planned a terrific garden for this summer. Researched, drew diagrams, looked info up online, found this forum (yay!), went and bought a seed-starting kit and seeds . . . have plans, solving problems (in theory, I'm doing a lot of thought experiments right now, hopefully they'll turn into real solutions in a couple months!) and did the best I could to ensure a happy garden this summer, which I still can't wait to actually get started on, by the way, . . .

. . . and discovered that despite the fact that I re-purposed a fluorescent light fixture in my kitchen, and bought that fancy 72 seed seed-starter kit, that . . . well . . .

. . . there's only one plant that actually has to be started indoors.

*sigh*

:lol:

Everything else I'm either going to buy as a baby plant or needs to be direct sown (including the beans and the cukes!). And can go directly into the garden, without the benefit of my seed-starting kit.

I guess I learned my lesson!

Whitewater (laughing at myself, a little. Luckily this wasn't an expensive lesson, and maybe I can use the kit for last year's flower seeds . . . )

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've all been there. My first year I started several things indoors I did not need to. I also ordered seeds mail order to make sure I got them. Found out I can get almost every seed I want, including the varieties I want, at the local gardening store for a whole lot less money. In a couple of years you will be way ahead on the learning curve but you never get off the curve. There is always something new to experience.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I started a lot more indoors then I should have before too. Ended up with beans crawling up the walls at one point.

If you have some cool weather items that suggest you start them outside (direct sown) like broccoli or cabbage... I've done those as transplants and was much happier about them when I did. :D So you can still try those.

I have some packets that suggest direct sowing, but I find it easier to start early inside. Maybe share what you have and we can make some recommendations. Maybe you'll get to start more earlier then you thought :caf

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, making mistakes is a great way to learn! The tough part for those of us in zone 4, is not starting the plants inside too early. I am anxious for sure, but I can't plant anything delicate outside until the end of May. So, there is no point in starting anything yet. I'll start the tomato seeds mid-March or so, and transfer to cold frames in late April. Trying to be patient.....Good luck-Enjoy!

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am reminded of the truism, "We never stop learning until we're dead!" (and one could argue that even death doesn't stop the learning process . . . )

Yep, in zone 4 it's always a bit difficult to know when to start plants inside! Put it this way, even with the early spring we've got right now, I'm in no hurry. The ground won't get warm enough for things like flowers and basil until Mother's Day at least! So technically I've still got a whole other week before I have to start my seeds.

vfem -- this thread http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27786 lists all the seeds I've bought. I have a source that will ship tomato and pepper plants in dirt (not bare roots) to me from out in California for a reasonable price, so I don't need seeds for them. See the bottom of my post for their website.

That, I think, is the biggest change in my plans. I *was* going to focus on heirlooms this year and keep hybrids to a minimum, so I figured I was going to have to buy seeds and start them inside (around here, it's pretty difficult to find any started plants other than hybrids, unless you want to travel at least 30 min. one way, which I don't want to do).

Then I discovered this source for live heirloom plants, so . . . no more seed starting! Here's a link: www.californiaheirloomtomatoplants.com (I like to support small, independent businesses whenever I can!).

LOL, I still feel like a doofus, though.

Whitewater

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whitewater, I start more varieties indoors than I did, even 5 years ago.

One reason is a slight de-emphasis on annual flowers and that gives me more indoor room for veggies. Secondly, if I'm moving stuff outdoors to harden-off every day, I can kind of schedule in some warm-season things that only take about a month.

Examples are cucumbers, melons and squash. Actually, I finally learned that if there was any chance whatsoever for ripe melons, they really had to be started indoors and set out after the weather warmed. But, if I'm doing that for 1 thing - may as well do the others, also.

It doesn't always work real well. These 3 cannot stay indoors for long and the weather may still not cooperate. Too often, cloudy, rainy spring weather will linger even past the 4th of July :rolleyes:. It might not frost after I set them out but these warm weather loving plants may just up-&-die if conditions stay too cool and too wet, too long.

Seems like I should be able to, at least, get cucumbers but some years the production is just pathetic. Sure would be nice to have some benign weather early in the season before searing heat and dryness take over during the summer. We can't always get what we want but having a variety of things and some days of protected growing can help.

Steve

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You can get heritage tomato and pepper plants shipped to you like that from Seed Savers Exchange also. They are in Iowa, but their plants are shipped from Wisconsin...a little closer to you too!
They have some pretty neat varieties.
Christie :D

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you're buying plants started at a nursery you can be sure they started them early.

i've had good luck with starting peppers, tomatoes and cukes in the house. and pumpkins can take a long time as well so starting them inside is always a good way to get a jump start on them too. just have to transplant them into some thing larger as they get larger then the cells you started them out in.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whitewater said:
I am reminded of the truism, "We never stop learning until we're dead!" (and one could argue that even death doesn't stop the learning process . . . )

Yep, in zone 4 it's always a bit difficult to know when to start plants inside! Put it this way, even with the early spring we've got right now, I'm in no hurry. The ground won't get warm enough for things like flowers and basil until Mother's Day at least! So technically I've still got a whole other week before I have to start my seeds.

vfem -- this thread http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27786 lists all the seeds I've bought. I have a source that will ship tomato and pepper plants in dirt (not bare roots) to me from out in California for a reasonable price, so I don't need seeds for them. See the bottom of my post for their website.

That, I think, is the biggest change in my plans. I *was* going to focus on heirlooms this year and keep hybrids to a minimum, so I figured I was going to have to buy seeds and start them inside (around here, it's pretty difficult to find any started plants other than hybrids, unless you want to travel at least 30 min. one way, which I don't want to do).

Then I discovered this source for live heirloom plants, so . . . no more seed starting! Here's a link: www.californiaheirloomtomatoplants.com (I like to support small, independent businesses whenever I can!).

LOL, I still feel like a doofus, though.

Whitewater
I got a tomato seedling source for heirloom in Michagin here:
http://nctomatoman.topcities.com/FlemingTomatoes2005.htm
I was told to just email him and he shares his seeds, and he ships seedlings if you ask. You just have to ask for an updated list. He's a member of Seed Savers Exchange. Maybe he'll have plants better suited for your climate.

Just email him, I found his info here, which is a local suppliers site for NC: http://www.nctomatoman.topcities.com/From_The_Vine.htm

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Whitewater, think about it...how do you think the garden stores start all of their plants? They start them indoors. (Yeah, I know that the nursuries supply them, but you know what I mean.)
Isn't this fun--gardening, I mean? I NEVER feel bad if a plant dies, but it tears me up if even one of my chickens dies---they're NOT named. And...don't get me started on my mourning over dogs, horses and cats that pass on. ...:( :hit

Back to Gardening--Pretty Gosh Darn Glorious a hobby, ain't it?!? :ya :mow :watering :weight :rainbow-sun :rose