I can't believe it! (Whoops)

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Aye, professional nurseries start their plants inside . . . but you know, no, that never did occur to me. I just didn't figure that out! Probably because I am not a professional anything when it comes to gardening, this is only my second year ever trying to grow anything :) I also have two (yes, two!) disorders that are firmly on the Autism Spectrum so my life and the way I learn and do things, well, let's just say that I work a little differently than everybody else out there.

I'm not fussed. My indoor 'setup' consists of one ancient fluorescent fixture, a 75w cool white bulb ('cause the fixture is a wierd size and that was all that we could get), some chain and a couple of hooks, some duct tape, and some zip ties. Oh yeah, and a table to put the little tray of seed starters on, all in the craft room in the basement.

It's not like I have some sort of glorious indoor yet empty greenhouse :lol:

And call me a scardey-cat, but something about starting tomatoes etc from seed indoors or out really freaks me out. Same with most of the veggies I'm going to attempt to grow this year. The biggest kick I'm going to get (and I know this based on my reaction last year to seeing my zukes pop out of the ground!) won't be from seeing the plants all leafy and producing fruit -- it will be seeing them actually grow out of our heavy clay soil. I'm putting these 'direct sow' seeds in the ground with the expectation of nothing much happening. If they grow, I'll be thrilled.

And if I actually get edible veggies, I'll be so far beyond thrilled there won't even be any words!

I suspect this is why gardening is a hobby for me, and not a passion or a food-producing past time. I just don't trust that I know what I'm doing yet!

Like I said, it's all a learning experience :)

Whitewater

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
AWW, Whitewater! :hugs
Gardening is fun in so many ways! To me, even though your neighbors SEE what you plant, they never know your personal joy when it goes right. The folks on this forum are happy to tell you what they've learned and they're also really good at where to go to answer questions. Some of the gardening habits that I have learned I never would have thought about on my own. For instance, thin unwanted seedlings by cutting them, so you don't disturb the other roots. ...and, don't compress the soil by walking on it.
Don't forget that gardening is BIG BUSINESS for gardening centers and the hardware stores that carry plants and stuff. They WANT to sell your stuff you "Cannot LIVE without," but really...you probably can. :lol:
So...my point?...sometimes it sounds a lot of more complicated than it is. Keep asking questions here, and that will help you. :D
Here's something articles that will help, from an online articles I saved:
The Easiest Seeds to Start
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/yard/g...h=dm17.369236&esrc=nwwu38_09&email=1744223044
What NOT to plant:
http://www.livingthecountrylife.com/gardening/what-not-to-plant/?page=1
Crop Rotation--THIS is for later in the year, AFTER your harvesting is finished:
http://www.gardeningpatch.com/vegetable/crop-rotation.aspx

Pain-in-the-Neck Plants
"ALTHOUGH IT'S HARD to remember as you wander through the rows of possibilities at your local nursery, some plants are simply more trouble than they are worth for growing in a small garden. They just don't behave that well in situations where space and time are limited. Here's a list of plants to avoid if you want to call your garden easy.
Aegopodium Podagraria (bishop's weed or gout weed). This invasive ground cover is almost impossible to eradicate once you have it in your garden.
Berberis Thunbergii (Japanese barberry). This is the red-leafed "pricker plant" that many people grow as a hedge. It may look fine in a Japanese garden, but the birds love the berries, which they then spread all over the place. It is impossible to eradicate.
Coronilla Varia (crown vetch). This plant's taproots go down to China. Highway departments plant the stuff to prevent erosion on embankments. It is best left there, not in your garden.
Delphinium (larkspur). This tall, graceful plant is just too selective. It wants more sun, less sun, more water, less water, it's too cold, it's too hot. Forget it!
Lonicera Japonica (Japanese honeysuckle). It smells good, but its vines spread like kudzu, taking over woodland areas and smothering native plants that are more beneficial for wildlife.
Mentha (mint). Another invasive ground cover, mint can take over a garden spot in one year, and the tiniest piece left behind will send forth another batch of plants. (If you must have it for your iced tea and tabbouleh, remove the bottom from a large, deep plastic bucket -- the kind joint compound comes in; bury the bucket in the ground all the way to its rim, and plant your mint in that.)
Monarda Didyma (bee balm). Although it's a wonderful plant for attracting butterflies, bee balm spreads like crazy and almost always gets mildew in the summertime.
Petunia. It gets straggly, stalky, and has to be continuously deadheaded or it won't bloom.
Physostegia Virginiana (obedient plant). Another plant that's beneficial to butterflies, it spreads all over the place and gets into areas you don't want it to be. Not obedient at all.
Rosa (tea rose). If you don't prune it right, it doesn't bloom. If you don't spray it with fungicides, it gets black spot. If you don't feed it at the right time, it pouts. If you don't bury it, it dies from the winter's cold. Need I say more?"
http://www.almanac.com/garden/flower/painplants.php
:hide This is just ADVICE--but you might chuckle at it. :lol:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
AWW, Whitewater! :hugs
Gardening is fun in so many ways! To me, even though your neighbors SEE what you plant, they never know your personal joy when it goes right. The folks on this forum are happy to tell you what they've learned and they're also really good at where to go to answer questions. Some of the gardening habits that I have learned I never would have thought about on my own. For instance, thin unwanted seedlings by cutting them, so you don't disturb the other roots. ...and, don't compress the soil by walking on it.
Don't forget that gardening is BIG BUSINESS for gardening centers and the hardware stores that carry plants and stuff. They WANT to sell your stuff you "Cannot LIVE without," but really...you probably can. :lol:
So...my point?...sometimes it sounds a lot of more complicated than it is. Keep asking questions here, and that will help you. :D
Here's something articles that will help, from an online articles I saved:
The Easiest Seeds to Start
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/yard/g...h=dm17.369236&esrc=nwwu38_09&email=1744223044
What NOT to plant:
http://www.livingthecountrylife.com/gardening/what-not-to-plant/?page=1
Crop Rotation--THIS is for later in the year, AFTER your harvesting is finished:
http://www.gardeningpatch.com/vegetable/crop-rotation.aspx

Pain-in-the-Neck Plants
"ALTHOUGH IT'S HARD to remember as you wander through the rows of possibilities at your local nursery, some plants are simply more trouble than they are worth for growing in a small garden. They just don't behave that well in situations where space and time are limited. Here's a list of plants to avoid if you want to call your garden easy.
Aegopodium Podagraria (bishop's weed or gout weed). This invasive ground cover is almost impossible to eradicate once you have it in your garden.
Berberis Thunbergii (Japanese barberry). This is the red-leafed "pricker plant" that many people grow as a hedge. It may look fine in a Japanese garden, but the birds love the berries, which they then spread all over the place. It is impossible to eradicate.
Coronilla Varia (crown vetch). This plant's taproots go down to China. Highway departments plant the stuff to prevent erosion on embankments. It is best left there, not in your garden.
Delphinium (larkspur). This tall, graceful plant is just too selective. It wants more sun, less sun, more water, less water, it's too cold, it's too hot. Forget it!
Lonicera Japonica (Japanese honeysuckle). It smells good, but its vines spread like kudzu, taking over woodland areas and smothering native plants that are more beneficial for wildlife.
Mentha (mint). Another invasive ground cover, mint can take over a garden spot in one year, and the tiniest piece left behind will send forth another batch of plants. (If you must have it for your iced tea and tabbouleh, remove the bottom from a large, deep plastic bucket -- the kind joint compound comes in; bury the bucket in the ground all the way to its rim, and plant your mint in that.)
Monarda Didyma (bee balm). Although it's a wonderful plant for attracting butterflies, bee balm spreads like crazy and almost always gets mildew in the summertime.
Petunia. It gets straggly, stalky, and has to be continuously deadheaded or it won't bloom.
Physostegia Virginiana (obedient plant). Another plant that's beneficial to butterflies, it spreads all over the place and gets into areas you don't want it to be. Not obedient at all.
Rosa (tea rose). If you don't prune it right, it doesn't bloom. If you don't spray it with fungicides, it gets black spot. If you don't feed it at the right time, it pouts. If you don't bury it, it dies from the winter's cold. Need I say more?"
http://www.almanac.com/garden/flower/painplants.php
:hide This is just ADVICE--but you might chuckle at it. :lol:
in the case of roses, i've had the best luck with my 'found' roses. ones that had been abandoned in fields and would be stumbled on. i have a beautiful white rose that gets fragrant clusters of 5 petaled flowers. it blooms in mid June for a week and the scent is wonderful! but i definitely know that tea roses are a problem for me so i don't waste the money on them anymore.

Whitewater, you might want to add some compost or some stuff i've heard you can add to clay soils-not sure on the name but i'm sure a garden center would know what you are asking for. it helps to break it up and allow for plants to grow better and get nutrients they will need as they are growing.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If I already had the set up and the everything I would at least go out and spend another $1 and buy a pack of flowers you could plant outside. The flowers will help you little bee buddies that you want to come to your veggie garden anyway. Most of those you can start right now and plant when it warm enough.

Latest posts