I could cry ...the long awaited tomatoes are just about done for us

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sigh and this does not help

http://splendidtable.publicradio.or...id_table/2009/09/05/splendidtable_20090905_64

I love The Splendid Table but you have to listen to this last podcast ..especially if you live in the PNW! or in Oxford!

anyway my last tomato sandwich was the day before yesterday ..with home made mayo on sour dough with lots of coarse salt and pepper

sniff ..I have a basket or San Marzano ..and some in the deyhydrator and freezer ..but no many because no matter what you do to them .. it is just not the same tomato as right this second ... I am a brat about fresh tomatoes ..

ok it came and it went and for those of you who are still enjoying yours ...many blessings!!! ..enjoy each and every one!

I may have failed in corn ...busted in plums

I kicked A#$ with my heirloom and San Marzano tomatoes :weee

garden success!

so my fall garden was starting to sprout nicely and some how my chickens got in and retilled the soil

I said bad words :duc oh well life is all about the next thing right?

so how do you eat your final fresh slicing tomato ?

for us it is a sad but also satisfied moment that last sandwich!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:hugs I was right there with you saying those bad words this morning. My husband let the chickens free-range when I was not home last night and they scratched up nearly half of my cover crop that I am trying to establish in our orchard. It is actually a small area, because that is all the time I had to prepare the soil, but now it will be bare earth for another year, because it is too late to re-seed. :somad

When tomatoes are in short supply, my favorite way to eat them is: lightly salted on top of bruschetta with melted mozerella cheese, with a basil chiffonade. :drool

I am sorry your tomatoes have run out of steam. :( Mine are winding down, but not quite completely done in yet.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is heartbreaking, no doubt!! I feel such a sense of sadness, as I am putting the garden to bed. I am not usually a procrastinator, but I wait and wait to start that task! I will have my last, on a piece of homemade bread, a slice of cheddar and some mayo! It will be a bittersweet experience, though! Think Spring!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am seriously considering trying hydroponic tomatoes but do not want to even go there if they taste like the ones in the grocery store

perhaps it is best to leave myself yearning then the reward is so great :)

sigh here you go

want a bite?
6185_img_4470.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You know,

We really are seasonal creatures. We used to migrate too!

But, it seems, we find ourselves further and further from the Natural ways of the world. I am with you in saying that the long wait of Winter and then the patience of Spring is part of the equation.

I melt when I bite into a Brandywine! ...well, actually I can dance a bit too; it is almost shocking. This is worth the wait! It is sad though to say goodbye.

However, I am in Zone 8 and my tomatoes still have months to go :bun :bun

How terribly I am!

I say go for the hydroponics; I bet they taste better than store-bought any day of the week!

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought hydropincally grown tomatoes - they sucked. I mean, no flavor but did have the acid. And mealy. BLACH! I think the regular store bought actually tasted better! I'm like Ron - we should still have plenty of time for tomatoes plus I am trying to figure my own type of hothouse to hopefully keep mine far into the winter. So far I have 3 Amish Paste and 1 Brandywine I plan on trying this with tho I am very seriously considering starting a Black Krim just to see if I can make it work...

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
whats wrong with you, HiDelight?!?! dont you know i cant eat this silly computer screen!!!!

WOW what a sandwich!!! (looks over on counter full of maters...) hum.........

i dunno if i have a planned 'last sandwich' but man i had the best egg + mater sandwich the other day... seriously i dont think i'll have a better one this year. now that we are getting down to the dregs all the tomatoes are going into a big ol' pot of sauce!

do you have a list of your heritage varieties??

i have amish pastes, several oxhearts, hill billy, and i ended up with a couple cherokee black volunteers.... i just love the 'old school' varieties.

:)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I listed the types on here some where

I know I had black krim
persimmon salad
and German striped I think

every year I choose something different to try and always do some San Marzano for sauces

for a while I was choosing by color ..one year all yellow another all black then deepest reds I could find ..oranges ...paying no attention to the varieties ..it was fun and I had some very good years and some tragic years ..more tragic than good..but I feel like I am getting it and this year was a HUGE ego boost!

I love roasted tomatoes and am going to look for some that have been suggested to me by the tomato guru DigitS :)

I htink I will try hydroponics just for something to try and so I can check it off my Mother Earth project life list ...

but save my tomatoes for savoring I think they need dirt anyway to be good

lettuces would be good hydroponic testing plants perhaps

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now wait a minute, I'm no tomato guru. But, thanks HiDelight . . .

I lay in bed at night and look at Tomato Growers and Totally Tomatoes and dream of the chance to grow an 85 day tomato. I'd even be happy with an 80 day heirloom. But, I'm not much for "rolling the dice" and barely trust a 75 day variety.

If every summer was warm and toasty like the last 2 around here, I could risk the choice, tender care, garden space, months of irrigation, work, and anxiety. Better for me to stay with the tried-and-true along with a recommended few or 1 or 2 with a catalog description that sounds promising.

American heirlooms nearly all require a longer growing season than is usually available. There are new ones that have come out of what once was the USSR but I gotta say, "Siberian" isn't a very appetizing name. Reminds me way too much of the Sub-Arctics that I used to grow when I lived at a higher elevation.

Steve

Latest posts