i dreamed

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had returned to the rose greenhouse where I once worked. The boss told me to collect cuttings from the miniature yellow for new starts. Something new! I set off for those beds of roses. They used to be just outside the packing shed door, around the corner from the coffee break table.

On my way, I passed through a cosmetic shop. The sales women seemed to know who I was and what I was up to. Outside, I met the boss again. He directed me to a truck that I could use in my commute to the greenhouse where the miniature yellows grew. It was a nice neighborhood that I drove through, lots of trees. I picked up a man and his small daughter. They looked like they needed a ride.

There amongst the homes I found that greenhouse. I told the people who were there what I was up to. They just nodded and I quickly cut a handful of roses.

"Do these have aphids?" I asked, mostly to myself. A young woman took the roses from me and threw them on a table, spreading them out with her hands. A professional horticulturalist, I thought to myself. I said, "No, they may just be wet from the misting system."

I woke in my own bed, realizing that you can never go home.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dreams are strange things sometimes. Especially those complex pleasant ones that you remember the details of for a long time. Yours sounds like one of those pleasant ones.
When you get those mini yellows rooted I'd be interested in one. Yellow roses are my favorites. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a busy dream. Usually those mean that you didn't get good rest.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I almost never remember the nighttime dreams. The last dream, often on a morning when I am sleeping late - those are the ones I remember. And, this dream was one of those.

I was surprised and came to a full stop when I found myself in a cosmetic shop! I remember thinking that this must be what it means to be living in the 21st century.

It was only because the ladies were nice to me that I could keep moving and make it out the backdoor. I only arrived in an asphalt parking lot.

Without the boss's help, it never would have occurred to me to climb in one of the vehicles and drive off. The father and little girl were pleasant companions. We must have travelled several miles from the packing shed coffee table!

Steve
I’m not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost. ~ Winnie the Pooh

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that this is probably how I was looking at things: The past is never where you think you left it. ~ Katherine Anne Porter

And, this just isn't me: You realize that our mistrust of the future makes it hard to give up the past. ~ Chuck Palahniuk.

Today, is a new day!

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had a series of dreams over several years where I am wandering :hu through a building -- school usually -- looking for a bathroom. When I wake up, :confused: I seriously have to use the facilities. :eek: Keep thinking that if I ever found a bathroom in my dream, I'd wake up in a waterbed.:gig:gig:gig

So naturally, @digitS', my first thought was: were Steve's yellow roses really wet from the misting system? :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several innovations went into the greenhouse when I was there. One was supplemental lighting. Another was the misting system.

It was soon set-up as automatic. Before it was, the switches were manual and were the plaything of the boss. He had kind of a informal system of turning them on at random moments during hot days. He was third generation and a high flyer.

People working in the greenhouses would be caught completely unawares. They would need to walk/run as far as 100 yards to get out of a greenhouse . . . and, might find that they had just run soaked into another greenhouse with the sprinklers running. We tried to keep our temper, after all, it was 80° to 85°on hot summer afternoons.

Automatic allowed us to keep track of what would go on, when. He couldn't be around all the time on hot afternoons to play his little game - he was seldom around, at any time! Of course, he had so p*ssed us off that we wouldn't touch the switches! The system would either be on automatic or ignored.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! Ha! Had to laugh at the visual of being taken by surprise by a sprinkler system Steve. Been there, done that. Mostly I can count on one particular client who likes to fiddle with the schedule and frequently forgets to notice if it's set for a.m. or p.m.. Not too annoying on a hot day, but really irritating on a cold windy one.

Latest posts