I forgot to transplant my trillium

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a trillium with tons of babies all squished into a pot that needs to be let loose in the woodland garden area ..I am just wondering ..does anyone know if I can do this now?

I totally forgot and they bloom here in March I do not want to kill them so any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would make sure they're hardened off (put them in a very sheltered area for a couple of weeks, in that original pot) then separate them and plant them right out. Your climate is mild enough that I'm sure they'll recover from the root shock, and March is far enough away that I think they can get established. If it does freeze, mulch them well with leaf mold but be ready to remove it if it gets too wet - you don't want to smother them, but you want those roots to stay in the ground! Trilliums transplant fairly well, I think you'll be ok. Don't expect blooms from those babies for several years, some take up to seven before they bloom!

What species are we talking about here? I love trilliums, I've got several different types out there, grandiflora, sessile luteum, and a few others.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok I should have been more specific sorry

the pot is sitting in the woodland garden area and has been there for three seasons now because they are in a corner of my property that I want to leave alone and let flourish naturally ..well I brought in a few things to flourish and literally forgot about them!!! I planted my maple and a few things like solomon's seal and completley forgot my pot of trilliums ..again!!!

Rein this truly is a flower of love for me..it blooms on my birthday ...usually hits the eye when spring fever is really kicked in

and is just so beautiful

and all the varieties ..the deep red ones omg if I had more shadey areas I would love to grow trilliums species ..

anyway mine are from a lot that was being cleared ..we will call them "rescue" trilliums :)

they are natives and basic ..turn from white to purple and they look at you from the darker parts of the woods here

so they are already hardened off and just sitting there ..we have had two very light frosts and my soil is soft ..I have some compost to toss in but I do not want to stimulate it to grow too soon!

what do you guy think ..

my husband had the idea of just cutting the pot half off of them then ...bury in the garden ..in the direction they are spreading away from the mama plant ..so make sure that spreading side is open and keep mama in the pot sort of?
is this understandable I hope? I want to keep mama safe in the pot and let the babies roam out on their own and populate the rest of the garden area ..a sea of trilliums under the fir trees!!!!

will this work you think?
compost or not is the question?

I hope I am clearer the coffee has not quite kicked in

trilliums are also called "wake robins" (correct me if I am wrong) because they open when the robins come back in the spring :)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ah, so they're already acclimated. Go ahead and try to tease them apart a bit. You can plant them in clumps, but make the clumps smaller. Then follow the leaf mold mulch advise I gave you above. I think you'll be fine.

Those sound like Trillium grandiflorum - I have them, and love the way they open to that pearly white and then fade to pink. Lovely plants, what a great birthday present for yourself! :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thanks!!! ..if I can find "organicish" leaf mulch that is not all that easy around here :p

I keep wanting to stop the gardeners on big company grounds but they spray there so it would be pointless to bring those into my garden ..but I drool when I look at them!

I am sure that is the species of trillium and will do as advised today!!! thanks so much I am so glad it popped into my brain to ask

if it blooms you can be sure I will take pictures this part of the garden is just so beautiful!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Oh, I do envy you for having trilliums. I would love to grow them but they are SO EXPENSIVE here -- just the thought of having a sea of them, HiD, makes me shiver! I had never seen them here & saw my first ones on a visit to Seattle when friends took me around to various gardens. I am green-eyed with jealousy. :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh you guys I just bit the bullet dumped dug the hole dumped the pot out and omg there are so many baby trilliums in there!!! I had no idea!!! I did not count because I was trying not to stress them but they are healthy strong babies!

they are planted got the composted leaves (my husband had a stash behind his shop he brought it out and I am telling you some women want bobbles I was thrilled with rotten leaves!!!)

they are all tucked in and we will just have to wait and see!

thanks for the advice I will post pictures in March ..please send good grow energy their way

we dropped to 12F today :p I am not liking this AT ALL!!!!! :barnie

Latest posts