I found tools at a yard sale!!!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love finding tools at a yard sale, they are usually old and sturdy, made when tools were supposed to last! I got two hoes....one extremely wide (never saw one like it) and one looks like a cutter hoe...like a slanted blade. I also got a good rake, very nice. Cheap! I also picked up a 50 ft. roll of chicken wire for 10 bucks, new! A heavy-duty vise for $10! All kinds of odds and ends that I would have had to pay an arm and a leg for....I love, love, love a bargain! Anybody else a bargain-hunting, super-scrounger, dumpster-divin' freak like me? :tools

I am never more proud than when I have gotten something for free, or cheap, that I can find a use for later! :weee

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know what you mean.

I bought a hand scythe at one last summer. Where else are ya gonna find that? Though I have to admit that I have yet to use it.

We also found field fencing dirt cheap at a local Habitat for Humanity store (kind of like a thrift store for house-hold goods, where the money from the sales goes to Habitat). Gotta love it!

Firefyter-Emt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yep, I am a cheap Yankee and proud of it!

This year my best two finds were a $66 Murray riding lawn mower with a "blown engine" that was complete, in good shape and running in less than an afternoon! Then to go along with it was the $20 trailer that after an afternoon of grinding down the rust, some sanding and a fresh coat of satin black looks as good as new and if I knew they would be so handy, I would of bought one years ago!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, those are Goooooooood bargains!!! I don't know about y'all but I feel more satisfaction with those kinds of purchases than any other. That lawn mower reminds me of my favorite good deal....I had bought a vehicle that booked for $3400 for $1000. I think these folks thought the engine was going bad, the body was in excellent shape and all that was wrong with it was an O2 sensor! $80 in parts and repair and that vehicle was the best! And a 4-WD!

Sometimes I get to feeling like I'm the only one who scrounges and dumster-dives but then I get on one of these forums and find out there are frugal people everywhere! :dance

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That slanted blade "hoe" is called a scuffle hoe. It works GREAT!! They work really well if you are trying to remove grass or weeds from gravel too? I like mine and you will probably like yours once you start to use it. Great buys though!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What great deals!! :)

No, you aren't alone. I know that I have 2 choices:

A ~ Do Not go to yard sales and thrift shops, or go through recycling papers, and still eat.

B ~ Go, and spend money, and not buy groceries.

Now, the way I see it, is that if what I find is useful, and really a good savings, then I've saved us money, and what's the complaint? lol! (I didn't see dh complaining when I got him all the naked lady bulbs he'd been wanting, just for digging them up! Those are hard to get here. If someone has them, people descend like locusts!)

Oh yeah, I've gotten my share of excellent bargains, many of which we still talk about, years and years later! :happy_flower

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree, Tutter! I really couldn't afford to buy these items at the yard sale but I knew I needed them now and in the future....so I made a choice. Save now when I can't afford to spend the money? Or pay out more later when I can afford it? Tough decisions all around. I try to only stop at yard sales that have tools, equipment, etc. I also try to limit myself to only the occasional yard sale. While driving, I spot one and say, "Hey! A yard sale!" and the kids shout, "NOOOOOOO!" :barnie

Finding bargains is an addiction! :love

Reaction score
I have found the best tool deals at "barn" sales. Farmers seem to always have a collection of rakes,hoes and spades in a group some where. I found a nice deep short handle spade for 50 cents:D

Latest posts