I GREW A CARROT!!!!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, several of them. Carrots are my nemesis. I have gone through countless packets of carrot seeds and never got a single one. Sometimes I'd get a tiny feathery bit of green, but it soon withered away. The rest of the seeds were abducted by aliens. :lol:

I have tried spring, summer, fall and winter plantings and still zilch. Nothing. Nada.

So imagine my excitement when a few tiny feathery bits got bigger, survived and never died. They were scattered in several beds bacause I put seeds everywhere. 99.9% never showed up for the party. Today I pulled one. It is the Atomic Purple from Baker Creek.

7949_carrot_1st_one.jpg

Ain't it a beauty???? :weee

Then I grated it with my Mom's Salad Master 1950 grater, the kind with the interchangeable grater cones. I picked fresh broccoli, pecans out of the freezer, golden raisins and a dollop of Miricle Whip. YUMMY! DH said he never ate a carrot that tasted so good!

7949_carrot_salad.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good job Baymule! Pretty salad :) .

My mom has a Salad Master too. I got to operate it all the time growing up, I've never seen another one anywhere.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
majorcatfish said:
good for you and a nice looking salad too boot. one thing missing ribs!!!!!
NOT!! I cooked BBQ pork ribs too! And turnips, collard greens and purple hull peas! Garden yummies!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes! Patience pays off in the end! Nothing taste sweeter than a homegrown carrot... Congrats!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
YAY! Another hurdle cleared! Now you get to figure out what went right this time so you can do it again...and again :) That's a perfect salad for ribs!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
CONGRATS :thumbsup We got about 2 TINY carrots last year. You have enncouraged me to try again. :fl

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hooray, Carrots hate me too! Its either I get a few or none at all. I finally got a huge harvest of about 50 carrots last year, and I will continue to buy Nantes carrots from now on. The only one that ever did ANY good in all these years. :D Your purple carrot is sure AWESOME though.

Latest posts