...I hate alcoholics....

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, I will let my voice on this subject be heard.
I do not know what goes on behind your doors nor do I want anyone to be offended by my opinion.
It's just my opinion.
First of all I just want to clarify one thing. I do NOT drink. I have tried several different kinds of alcohol and found that it's just not who I am. I think the last time I really did have a drink or two was my sisters wedding.... and that was almost 12 years ago! The only time I have ever really "drank"

Now, here is a little history lesson for ya'll about my life. When I was growing up my parents and grand parents drank. They would go to the local bars about every weekend I was never abused or anything like that, but my parents would fight over visitation and such when they drank. My step father was an alcoholic true to form.... get up before work and drink, come home drunk.
You get the idea.
I'm sure after reading Monty J's post you are wondering how I could MARRY an alcoholic....
Well first off, he's not violent and does not drink every single day, he goes to work, and if there is something I want and he knows it,he will go above and beyond to make sure I get what I want and NEED! The kids and I have never suffered from Monty's drinking.
If you knew he was a drinker before you married him there must have been some sort of acceptance on your part to go threw with the wedding. I think you need to see the person from the inside, not the outside. Is he good to you? Does he beat you, is he verbally abusive? If the answer is no to the abuse and he is good to you it can work, but you both have to compromise. As far as not being interested in being outside with you, I will admit, I have not always been an outside person either. I grew up in town I was a "townie" Never set foot on a "farm" in my life. It took me a lot of years to become a "country" person.
Look back at the man you fell in love with .... is he the same man? What qualities does he have that made you fall in love with him? Are they still there?
I hope everything works out for you in the end.... just dont give up on your marriage . Talk to him when he is sober and ask him to get help, and be there to support him in every way possible. God bless and good luck.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh!

Those Stinkbugs look similar to
HARLEQUIN BUGS.

We have us a lot of Harlequin Bugs in the forest.

@ninnymary you've probably at least seen Harlequin Bugs, shaped like that picture above, maybe a third of an inch by half an inch, with some orange lines around that main part.

But I've never noticed anything "stinky" about Harlequin bugs, and they do look related, at least in the same family.

=====

DO HARLEQUIN BUGS DO ANY DAMAGE IN GARDENS?

That's not meant to hijack the thread at all, just a momentary related question...

oh hang on. I'll just post another thread with that question. don't want to commit a technical foul.

=====

Welcome back @MontyJ

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I drink, MontyJ, so can't say I have zero tolerance for it.
We both worked, cared to some extent how we looked, put personality means more. But caring how we looked was part of the personality. I don't get why I should try to stay fit and healthy and he can suddenly just not give a damn, but say that he does care and want to be healthy with me.
He likes animals, but he's the hands off type. He got a bulldog, but golly help him if he's supposed to care for it. He says he loves the dog and all that, but he doesn't want to actually work for his pet and work with his pet. Only work he does well is his paid job, outside of that, he's back to being a spoiled mommas boy. He knows how to do chores and such, but can't be bothered to do them on a daily schedule. I could bring home an elephant and he would be happy for me and be happy to occasionally interact with it, he'd call it his elephant, too. But he won't ever work or handle it. If I left him, I wouldn't leave 'his bulldog' with him, he would probably forget it's there over time...
There were a ton of stuff we both liked, same stuff we didn't like, but then we're also very different in some ways as well.
He drank some before I met him, but now he drinks every day he doesn't work. He works long nights, so he cannot work on days he has work. But he can't easily 'just not drink' on a day off. And it's gotten progressively worse over the years. He'll deny he got horribly wasted, drink the next day like it never happened. Or he'll keep drinking while horribly wasted and force me to hide the bottle by just how overly drunk he is. I almost called an ambulance once, probably should of done it and I will if he ever manages to get to that point again.
He doesn't like beer, vodka, cheap big bottles. Half or more can be gone in the two nights he's off work.

Have a ton to do today, will have to come back and reread the posts and finish replying later.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh!

Those Stinkbugs look similar to
HARLEQUIN BUGS.

We have us a lot of Harlequin Bugs in the forest.

@ninnymary you've probably at least seen Harlequin Bugs, shaped like that picture above, maybe a third of an inch by half an inch, with some orange lines around that main part.

But I've never noticed anything "stinky" about Harlequin bugs, and they do look related, at least in the same family.

=====

DO HARLEQUIN BUGS DO ANY DAMAGE IN GARDENS?

That's not meant to hijack the thread at all, just a momentary related question...

oh hang on. I'll just post another thread with that question. don't want to commit a technical foul.

=====

Welcome back @MontyJ

They also stink when threatened or squashed. Some people cannot smell them, some smell them as cucumber scent and others smell them as something rotten and horrid.
"The harlequin cabbage bug (Murgantia histrionica), also known as calico bug, fire bug or harlequin bug, is a black stinkbug of the family Pentatomidae, brilliantly marked with red, orange and yellow. It is destructive to cabbage and related plants in tropical America as well as throughout most of North America, especially the warmer parts of the United States. In addition to cabbage it can be a major pest to crops such as broccoli, radishes and the ornamental flower cleome. Nymphs are active during the summer and in the tropics the bug can achieve three to six generations a year. In the northern range there is only one generation annually and the insects overwinter as adults."

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I drink, too much cheap white wine. But I don't get drunk and I only drink after 5 p.m. Its my only vice. Can I stop? Probably not. Do I want to stop? No. I like my white wine. Will I cut back? I have, as my belly has grown, and my activity level has dropped due to this small house on a postage stamp piece of land.

I've never smelled a stink bug; maybe we don't have them out here in No. Calif. Its a familiar shape of beetle tho.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I drink, too much cheap white wine. But I don't get drunk and I only drink after 5 p.m. Its my only vice. Can I stop? Probably not. Do I want to stop? No. I like my white wine. Will I cut back? I have, as my belly has grown, and my activity level has dropped due to this small house on a postage stamp piece of land.

I've never smelled a stink bug; maybe we don't have them out here in No. Calif. Its a familiar shape of beetle tho.

Shaped like a northern california harlequin bug murphysranch.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
To me, stinkbugs smell sort of like coriander leaves . Not like young coriander leaves (i.e. cilantro) do (which I like) but the way the leaves start to smell when the plant grows up and they get all feathery. Or I suppose like coriander roots probably do, when they are peeled (coriander root is apparently a common addition to some Southeast Asian soups and stews.)

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi montyj! Welcome back!! Yeah..I bet we all remember you...and your BBQ stories :drool:hugs

I chose not to drink alcohol, at a very young age. Diabetes runs on both sides of my family, and my maternal grampa was a notorious drunk. G'ma used to tell about how he would come home drunk, so she would sew him up in a sheet. Not let him out till he sobered up the next day. I never met him. He was born in 1872, and died in 1945. Me, I wasn't born till 1962. So I just heard the stories.

Stinkbugs; I try not to aggravate any if I see them. I have chickens. Do they eat stinkbugs? :hu

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stinkbugs; I try not to aggravate any if I see them. I have chickens. Do they eat stinkbugs? :hu

Mine never ate them, especially after they got farted on. They avoided them like the plague! lol, even the ducks said no way!

Latest posts