catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
1606847_787254567958996_540030943_n.jpg

If you have a bit of patience......

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe you could put in some low maintenance, low drought native plants? This would cut down on the amount of work you would have to expend. Also a meandering pathway would help take up some of that space.

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ground covers! Lots of them - several types - cover the space with all those things that you'd just die if it got into your veggi garden because it is unstoppable and smothers anything in it's path.
A weed is only a weed if it grows in a place you don't want it.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What about some bigger rocks to help fill in between the lumps? Fill up space and help break up the terrain a bit with some different shapes and textures.

Or some other hardscape type of features....an obelisk or a trellis of some kind to give you something to focus on. A bench, or sitting area of some kind.

Creeping phlox is a favorite of mine as far as ground covers go. It's aggressive & very striking when in bloom.

What about a water feature? A pond of some kind? Landscape around that and give you something really nice to enjoy.

Just trying to look at all the options...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since we baught a former bank owned house with flat land and dead grass, dead trees, dead bushes, but with weeds that were over knee high. I HATE mowing lawns, so ... go to Random Ramblings section and then find " Garden Tour" ... photos on P 6 etc. I dug the meandering stream and used the soil to form hills, then I added every single rock, river rock, crushed rock, and plant that you see there . After one year of work ( all mine ) , my garden was selected for the County's garden tour. :th I hope that this will give you an idea. ;)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since we baught a former bank owned house with flat land and dead grass, dead trees, dead bushes, but with weeds that were over knee high. I HATE mowing lawns, so ... go to Random Ramblings section and then find " Garden Tour" ... photos on P 6 etc. I dug the meandering stream and used the soil to form hills, then I added every single rock, river rock, crushed rock, and plant that you see there . After one year of work ( all mine ) , my garden was selected for the County's garden tour. :th I hope that this will give you an idea. ;)
Where are the photos???

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have a koi pond in the back, we're on a busy road, don't want the oil and trash from it to get into a front yard pond. Plus, they are a ton of work and would cook the fish and plants in summer.

This is what I've done so far. I'm going to make stripes of narrow grass and wide mulch. Not sure what I'll plant in the mulch just yet. There are some trees that would work, but they are $60 and I'm not willing to spend that much on a lone plant just yet.
The mulch follows the fence 4ft wide, borders the walkway and will border the porch, short section of fence by the side gate and then cut diagonal to the center walkway where I'll get some nice pavers in surrounded by mulch. So much mulch!!
Yellow oval is where I want a dwarf tree, Jap maple, Weeping flower tree of some kind, ext.
Drew out the mulch and grass strips. Need to buy more mulch for the areas I've already done.
Second pic is the rest of the yard. Added the border to the center walkway and there is the Sand Cherry out there in the center. Someone's supposed to eventually come out and chop up the rest of the logs out. Might ask him to cut out a cheese wedge to make like a log couch, not sure how well it'll turn out, though.
Big rocks cost a fortune, I'm poor, so it all has to be cheap or free. :(
yard2.jpg

yard1.jpg

Latest posts