I hate grass!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do you make a grass-free yard?
Our front yard is small, lumpy, bit of full sun, then lots of shade. I hate grass and I hate mowing such a tiny bit of troublesome nothing in boiling hot/humid weather!
What can I do to have a near maintenance free yard? No, I will not put down gravel or concrete, I hate people who do that, horrid mess to get out later on!
I wouldn't mind nothing but mulch or tons of stepping stone paths with some kinds of shrubs helping to take up grass growing areas.
We have weedeaters/weedwhackers, so trimming up and edging is fine, I just don't want to haul the push mower into this space anymore!
I'd say it's a 30ft by 80ft area, some house and porch cut into it. Adding a mulch border of 3-4ft width to inside of fence line with two kinds of fast growing hedges I found at the store. Then center is a 4ft wide concrete path from porch to road. Right side of yard is lumpy like all heck, planted the Sand Cherry on that side to take up space eventually. Still working on cutting out the rest of that Sycamore tree that's downed. Left side was half raised garden beds, I'm in the process of taking out all that soft soil and moving it into my greenhouse.
So, other than mulch, pavers and hedges, what else can I use to minimize grass?
Anyone have pictures of what they've done? I don't mind some weeding in spring/fall, but I will not do it during summer, have no interest in passing out and then frying out there! =0
*sigh* It's so strange to hate grass and then religiously care for pastures out back, lol. Poor front yard grass being hated on.

Here's what I've got started this spring. Killing more grass on the left to put down weed barrier cloth. Mulch is from the tree being chainsawed up, saved it. :D Will use the black mulch from the store to top and do other mulchings. I didn't add a plant right at the base where pic was taken, there's a gate and I don't want any fighting with a hedge being in the way! Need to make a better pathway there, too.
Both types of hedge are in the Euonymus family, one's very yellow, other has red/purple leaves mixed in. 4x4ft, fast grower it said, hopefully they do well.
The right side is the driveway, going to add pea gravel to widen the driveway and to have less grass to worry about. Might add wood border around the mulch to make it prettier.
Maybe make a low, wood patio where that little firepit thing is, that would look nice.
Would love a weeping cherry in that corner, but it might be too big eventually. Anyone know of a tree that flowers or has interesting leaf color that stays under 15ft wide??
yard.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could do a big Zen garden out there. Just well placed gravel and rocks, pavers, a few little trees, statuary, a little bridge over a gravel stream bed. No need for water in the stream.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There are some Rhododendrons that do well in the shade.

DH complained about having to mow sparse grass around all the trees in the front yard...:)

This area is about 50' by 30'. The rest of the front yard went to flowers a few years later.
After a couple of years of mulching, not many weeds like to come back in the shade. And if it's hot in the summer, I would rather be gardening in the shade. Except for a few impatiens tucked here and there, these are all perennials.

CIMG3160.JPG CIMG5206.JPG

CIMG5214.JPG CIMG7529.JPG

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've seen it were people use moss in their lawns, mow-free but I think that you still have to step on it (not sure why). Over in the UK they use something called Roman Camomile, don't know whether it has to be mowed or not... but it still makes pretty flowers.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
A block down the street the folks there have a very small front yard with two very old, very big oak trees. No sun to speak of. Grass just would not grow. They now have it mulched and interspersed with Hosta. Not as nice looking as Lavenders yard, though. The west side of my yard has the same problem. Moss grows easily, grass just wont take. My dream is a few big rocks and lots of Hosta, fern and moss.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not deep shade, grass grows fast and thick all over the yard. Morning the left side is shaded, evenings the right side has shade from trees. But most of the day, there's strong sun. I had my veggie garden in the front yard, plenty of sun for them. Probably too much for shade loving plants.
Should have a picture of the yard somewhere.....

Last edited:

Latest posts