I have a kitchen full of pears!!! Suggestions please.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
A storm took out my pear tree, so we had to harvest early. I now have tons of pears in the kitchen. The bigger ones will be split up for ripening to eat and be canned in halves. I am not paring and pitting all the tiny ones. Food mill here we come. LOL

So other than pearsauce and pear butter, what would you make?

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have never made wine before. Is it terribly difficult/expensive. The former owner used the grapevines on the property for wine.

Outside of some juice and jelly, I was at a loss for what to do with them. And to be honest we don't drink much juice or really prefer grape jelly.

We're not big wine drinkers. Of course economics play a part in that. If it's not an involved/expensive process I would give it a go.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not really hard or expensive at all, I will have to see if I can find that recipe. The largest thing that it takes is time.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I highly recommend making at least one batch of pear butter.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The pear halves, pearsauce and pear butter are a given. When I told DH I might make wine, he just laughed and said I don't have enough patience. Probably true. Still I won't rule out a try.

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My grandmother use to make pear fruit leather. It was soooo....good. Hmmm...maybe I'm going to have to make some. I'm sure she got her recipe from the Sunset Garden magazine. This was way back in the 70's when she made it. Great packable snack.

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So far my kids have hated all my fruit leathers. I don't have my screens here at the moment anyways. I've got my stuff spread out between two houses. My other place is far enough away that with gas prices I only get by about once a month. Remembered dehydrator, forgot screens. :barnie

Trying to talk DH into building a solar one. I've got some of the stuff ready, but I got sidetracked. Working on a new coop, compost bins for coop run and pedicab. I NEED more pallets. :p

I thought about the pear relish, but I've already started zucchini. By the time its all done and put up I think I'll have enough relish for 2 yrs. :eek:

I honestly never thought I'd say this, but I want my food processor. Will have to remember to grab it if it's still there next trip.

I put enough for 2 canner loads of pear halves qts in a bag to ripen. So I'll start from there. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Latest posts