I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for this.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today the temperature in the greenhouse exceeded seventy degrees, so I trudged through the snow and placed some recent olive clones in the greenhouse so they could enjoy the heat and natural light. Now I will have to clear the detritus of winter storage from the greenhouse, but I am happy to so do.
jackb

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moving out from behind the 8-ball, Jack?

I've been turning on the furnace in the morning and moving plant starts out of the house and into the greenhouse about 5 days now. At first, it was sunny after freezing mornings but it has since been raining and cloudy. That is all the more reason to get them outta the house and into better light.

I will begin transplanting tomatoes this afternoon. The new transplants will have to be left out there overnight unless I can sneak those messy, drippy flats past DW and into the utility room. Shoot. Might be time to leave the heater on out there overnight ... ag'n' my frugal inclinations :rolleyes:.

Steve :D

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve,
We have had a miserable winter, and the long range weather models predict the colder than normal temperatures to go right through April. Depressing, to say the least. My tomato starts are in horticubes under grow lights, it will still be sometime before they are in soil. Here in New York we generally place them in the ground during the last week in May, so I have plenty of time with them. Some of the plants will go in the greenhouse in early May, with heat when necessary. Will not even start cucumbers for three or four weeks yet.

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay,
Today it was only 40F with moderate wind chill, however, the sun is climbing higher and the greenhouse traps the heat. Next time it hits seventy, I am going to grab a lawn chair, mp3 player, book and cold drink and soak up some sunshine and heat. Get rid of some of the winter aches and pains. :rolleyes:

jackb

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jackb, I don't either nor snow for that matter. But I do have to be careful I don't get a sunburn in the winter sitting on my chaise on the deck. :cool:

Mary

Latest posts