I knew I still had some in the freezer

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a quince tree that I took care of at an old clients property. Who knows how old it is/was. She passed away at 94 years old a few years ago. She made quince jelly from it every year.
That was a vigorous tree! It was situated in a poor spot at the corner of the lot next to the sidewalk. It would completely engulf the sidewalk if it wasn't pruned back hard every year.
And like Annette mentioned,it really suckered. I remember the thorns unaffectionately. :\

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, your flowering quince (Chaenomeles) doesn't ever set fruit? Mine did when I had it but it was quite an old shrub, I used to use the fruit when I couldn't find the real deal.
The quince (Cydonia) I'm using are from a friend's tree, fruit comes ripe in October. It isn't a large tree but it's loaded with fruit every year, fruit hard as nails even when ripe. Not often seen in nurseries around here anymore, other thing slipping into oblivion.

Annette

Mine is a double flowering Scarlet Storm. Must be why.

I remember my grandma used to have one a long time ago and the little hard fruits. I never tried them though.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Never had a quince. What does it taste like?
Hard to describe, I'd say somewhere between an apple and a pear. Extremely hard even when ripe. Used mostly in jellies and preserves, the fruit has a nice fragrance.

Made up half the juice this afternoon, it made 12 jars of jelly, will do the rest tomorrow and maybe take a picture :).

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I went to take a pic and the battery in my camera died, fixed that and then I couldn't open my photo album, DH had been doing some cleanup for me and...Mr. Fix it had to fix it. Finally, here's a pic of the second batch made this afternoon.
DSCN7085.JPG

Annette

Latest posts