I know I will get flack for this, but...

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Pat, I know I can't get rid of them quickly. I am very determined when it comes to getting rid of pests of any sort. I once spent three weeks digging daily until I was about 4' deep to get the roots of four'o clock plants an awful rose bushes(I love roses, just not these) out of the garden of my new house.
Monica

S0rcy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Achillea millefolium

Lowers blood pressure, helps cholesterol levels, assists with pain due to inflammatory conditions.

In clinical trials significant decreases in cholesterol levels were observed with the extract as well as decrease in blood pressure for those with stage 1 hypertension.

Unproven uses include wound healing, hemorrhoids, menstrual complaints (I use it for cramps) as an assistant in cough elixirs and for varicose veins.

Warnings: Do not use while pregnant or breastfeeding.

An infusion for tea is 3g of the flowers, 100g in a bath. Must be protected from light, storage in synthetic containers can reduce effectiveness.

PDR for Herbal Medicines Third edition

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
SOrcy- So I just harvest the flowers and infuse them? Do I put the liquid on the pain or drink it? DH has high cholesterol.
Monica

S0rcy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You can use the flowers as a tea for cholesterol yes, this works, but do not expect results right away. 15 to 20 drops of the extract were used for lowering cholesterol in the studies, which showed results within 2 months. An extract is far more concentrated than a tea. I would check with your physician to make sure that the yarrow does not interact with any other medications that affect cholesterol levels. Yarrow contains salicylic acid as well so ask about interaction with aspirin too.

A cloth soaked in an infusion of the flowers could be good for wounds as yarrow has antibacterial properties. There is nothing about the root in the PDR but I have a small handwritten note from a chinese physician that says that chewing the fresh root can help with dental pain until a dentist can be seen.

I take a tea of dried flowers and blackberry for cramps 3 times a day for the week before a heavy cycle. It doesn't taste bad and really gives me relief from dysmennorhea.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can change some of the 'unproven' uses to proven. :)

When we have bleeding bad enough to not ignore, but not bad enough to require medical attention, I treat it with yarrow, as many people did during battles, when they were bleeding.

First of all, never put yarrow on a cut until it's been flushed really, really well, or else the dirt will be trapped in it when it puckers it closed.

I bruise fresh leaves, and apply directly, letting it be held for a while. Then, remove, put new bruised leaves, because it's will no longer be bleeding at this point, and wrap the area, leaving the new, clean herb in place, under the bandage. Later in the day, it can be unwrapped and shouldn't give any trouble, and should not infect.

Someone else may not get these results, but I always do, and, of course, if there is anything odd about the wound; if it's more serious than not; or if the person reacts, they should seek medical attention.

Mine are the white flowering variety.

They were also a strewing herb, at one point. Drop on the floor, and walk on it, for pine scenting. I don't, but I'm sure that at one time, especially, this had quite an appeal! :)

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I guess I'm a freak as I love our Yarrow. It's a great flower for smaller beneficial insects and a good Ladybug plant.

Like Tutter, I also use the fresh leaves to help wounds heal quicker (after washing the cut/wound first). It helps to staunch/stop the flow of blood in cuts/wounds.

Dawn

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tutter! That is good to know! I love yarrow and didn't realize it had so many good properties. I will have to incorporate it into my healing balms, salves and bath salts! You are a wealth of useful knowledge! :old

This I DO know, yarrow dries beautifully and you can make some very attractive (and lucrative) dried flower wreaths and baskets with it!

Latest posts