I know I'm a weed, but I'm so PRETTY!

TheCuteOrpington

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
As long as it doesn't grow MASSIVE, and doesn't suffocate other plants, and if it's pretty, then yeah!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What color is it? Can I get some seed, please?

I would hate to have it "get loose" in a larger area such as pasture or along a creek but it seems to work for me in the one area I let it grow. All the others that get transplanted around the yard have a hard time reseeding, those are "high weeding traffic" areas and they are very easy to identify before flowering. It has a shallow root system which helps immensely!
My new weed that seems to be over-propagating is nightshade, I had no clue what that pretty little shooting star shaped purple flower was, just a semi-vine that showed up one day a few years ago so I let it be... I think it was you @digitS' that mentioned having a bank of it that you were off to mow down so I googled it, yep, deadly nightshade! Only the one plant for 3 years but now this year it has popped up in several other places. Off to eradicate I go, hi ho, hi hoe. :\

As far as I know, jewelweed only comes in two colors, depending on species. Common jewelweed has orange flowers, the rarer pale jewelweed has yellow.

That sounds more like enchanter's nightshade than deadly. Deadly nightshade is actually a shortish little herb, and not all that common on this side of the Atlantic. If you have seen the fruits it is obvious. Deadly nightshade fruits are round and black, enchanters are egg shaped and red.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The fruit is round and black. This nightshade is a very common weed where the ground has been disturbed.

It's not a highly competitive, aggressive plant.

For me, about the most troublesome thing about it is that the potato beetles must consider it their food of choice. Nightshade shows up early and the beetles get a good start and then they pack their bags and head off in all directions ... although a lot of beetle roads must lead to my eggplant.

Steve

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The USDA lists it as deadly nightshade.

Their link to NatureServe includes these names:

Solanum interius - Rydb.
Inland Nightshade
Other English Common Names: Plains Black Nightshade

Steve

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just go out and "pop" the ripe pods with my hand cupped to catch the seed. It ranks right up there with popping bubble wrap!
Deadly nightshade fruits are round and black, enchanters are egg shaped and red.
Now that I know there is more than the one kind... a google leads me to believe it is bittersweet nightshade. The enchanter's flower isn't right.
bittersweet nightshade: bittersweet ns.jpg

Latest posts