I Know Why They are Called Chickens

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
This was one of those evenings that you want to forget: I have had a bacterial infection in both eyes, and can barely see, plus being in a lot of pain. We have been trying to trap the stray kittens and have been taking them one by one to the humane society. So this evening a wind/rain storm blows up with strong cold wind, and hard cold rain, and tornado warnings. About that time my DH catches another kitten in the trap, and it is thrashing around like a wild animal (which it is) I look out the back window and see my chickens out in the wind and rain, just standing there in a huddle, not moving, in the middle of the lawn. I realize it has gotten so dark they can't find their way back to the chicken yard and coop. so I put on a rain jacket and run outside, trying to herd the chickens in, with my eyeballs feeling like they are exploding in my head. Silly chickens are still afraid to move, and I have to round them up like so many stray cattle. I finally get them in their yard, so I can go help DH deal with the wildcat in the cage. The TV weatherman is saying "get to a safe place now!" and we are pretty far from that, with DH now deciding to try to sweep all the blowing rainwater back out of the garage, I can see just enough to grab my purse and a couple important items and head for the basement. I am tempted to just lie down and take a nap, but I do go back upstairs and try to look concerned and supportive, which I wasn't feeling. Fortunately, the storm blew over without much damage. The kitten finally stopped thrashing around, and I provided some food and water to last till the humane society opens tomorrow at 11:00. The rest of the evening has been definitely anti-climactic. My eyes still hurt. :(

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, we get days like that. It's called life. Most of us deal with it. Sounds like you are in that group. Just take care of those eyes. They are important.

I applaud you for taking care of the stray kitten problem that way. It's not the easiest way to deal with it but I think it is the best way.

I have had to deal with dogs dropped off here in a terminal way, but I much prefer to get then in a crate and take them to the shelter when that's an option. So far stray cats has not been a problem here.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
So lucky, I hope you got some rest last night! My goodness- that was surely more excitement than you needed! Glad you all were safe in the storm. Take care of yourself...

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of us know how much pain in the eyes hurts. Hang in there, and see your doctor about it with any changes. From personal experience, I can tell you it is really the pits to have eyesight deteriorate to basically blind, and totally joyous to have vision return.

Has your doctor identified the bacteria causing the infection? Medicine is now getting to where unidentified infections will be a thing of the past. Identifying the bacteria can help make sure it does not return by letting you know its source. It may be 2 or 3 years down the line for small town clinics to have the gene sequencer machinery for it.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Some of us know how much pain in the eyes hurts. Hang in there, and see your doctor about it with any changes. From personal experience, I can tell you it is really the pits to have eyesight deteriorate to basically blind, and totally joyous to have vision return.

Has your doctor identified the bacteria causing the infection? Medicine is now getting to where unidentified infections will be a thing of the past. Identifying the bacteria can help make sure it does not return by letting you know its source. It may be 2 or 3 years down the line for small town clinics to have the gene sequencer machinery for it.
No, the doc just prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic. He said it would take a couple weeks to send off a culture and identify it, and by that time "Your eyeballs will have rotted out of your head." So we are trying this. I think they are a tiny bit better this morning. the swelling has gone down a little, and they are starting to itch dreadfully. I think I heard that itching is a sign of healing in some cases...?

Marshall, I know you were urging me to take the kittens to a no-kill shelter, but the only one within reasonable distance won't take any more cats right now. They are barely keeping their doors open, unfortunately.

Thanks for your well wishes, everyone. I don't generally get sick, so when I do, I'm a big baby, I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Glad your doctor is being supportive. "Eyeballs rotting out of your head"? What a comforting picture. ;)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you feel up to it, and get a chance, you may want to let the no kill shelter know about how our local anderson valley animal rescue works. They have a whole network of foster caregivers and small businesses that have weekly mobile pet adoptions at their stores. A mutually beneficial event that draws in customers to their stores, aids in goodwill and such. There was a person talking about bleeding hearts. The no kill shelter people know about that, and are very strong individuals, including a sheriff's wife and a former california patrolwoman as important caregivers and workers. They may have bleeding hearts, as do I, but they are very strong individuals that do this.

Best of luck with your eyes!

Latest posts