I Made Chicken Soup

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gypsy (almost 13) is my grocery shopping buddy. She checks unit prices and compares sizes for the best deal. She also keeps close to my list with the reminder that I don't NEED this or that, only that I might want it. She is also becoming a pretty good baker who will be making the holiday pies again this year.

She tells us that she is also at the top (and way ahead) of the rest of her "Life Skills" class -- what they call Home Ec years ago. Her pj's are finished while some of the class are still cutting their material. Helps that Mom does fantastic sewing and has worked with her.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gypsy (almost 13) is my grocery shopping buddy. She checks unit prices and compares sizes for the best deal. She also keeps close to my list with the reminder that I don't NEED this or that, only that I might want it. She is also becoming a pretty good baker who will be making the holiday pies again this year.

She tells us that she is also at the top (and way ahead) of the rest of her "Life Skills" class -- what they call Home Ec years ago. Her pj's are finished while some of the class are still cutting their material. Helps that Mom does fantastic sewing and has worked with her.
Good for Gypsy. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score

Can I rent her?????? My wife goes grocery shopping for milk, comes home with trunk full. It's not worth fight but really, for 2 of us?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.ciachef.edu/ Any one visiting Hudson Valley should eat here.
I was just reading an interview with an anthropology professor teaching there! (The first article on this page - link. Maybe @moxies_chickienuggets and others will be interested.)

Wait a minute, why is an anthropologist teaching at the Culinary Institute of America? You are probably wondering.

Well, I didn't get to this interview from that story on 800 year-old squash seeds, although I might have. No, I follow an anthropologist in New Orleans who has academic interests that are all about - food!

The woman in the interview is an archeologist. She focuses on historical archeology so she does research on like French immigrants to the 13 colonies.

They have historical records and diaries associated with their settlement. They are talking about their food. Meanwhile, she's digging up their kitchens (& kitchen middens).

Something on PBS today: genetics and culture of taste.

One thing the professor points out is that chefs are becoming increasingly interested in local foods and the seasonality of produce. You are gonna get down in the weeds if you go far enuf in that direction. It ain't all cooking for the elites.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember this, NyBoy. The easiest way to make good soup is to have good broth.

If you have to buy it, you have to buy it. Then, just put most anything you like in it. You can cook each separately, if you want. Soup can just be a gathering together of cooked ingredients.

If you cook them in the broth, maybe pay attention to cooking times of the ingredients, they vary. It's not terribly important if you overcook some ingredients. Just make sure that nothing is undercooked. I often just cut things that take longer, smaller. So, they cook more quickly in combination with everything else.

The easiest broth for me is made from bones. Different people have different ideas on the length of time to cook bones in simmering water enough to cover them well. I just use a 90 minute rule of thumb. Set the timer.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ny boy I am so proud of you!! Never to late to learn something new. Congratulations on a meal well cooked! the proof is that you are still alive after eating it and posted here about cooking it..... :hide

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I have some beef bones that came with the side of beef I purchased. How do you make your beef broth? What do you add to it?

Mary

Latest posts