I may never get this garden in ...

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better what I had survive the floods of May just started getting mowed over by the cutworms of June.

:barnie

6 of one...

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I don't think I've ever felt such frustration/desperation in my garden before. Our mud has finally dried up, but now we're running in the 90's everyday. I feel so far behind, I don't know where to start. It is very late for me to get most things in. I have several fall crops I can direct seed right now. What a weird year!!
I hear you loud and clear. This has been a very frustrating spring for sure. One thing that really irritates me is the many hours that I have spent nurturing and babying my heirloom seedlings over the past two months only to see them look anemic and struggling to stay alive.

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought I was behind this year too, having only had mine outside for a couple of weeks now due to the late frost then rain and strong wind, but coincidentally I made a post a year and a day ago, http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28928 showing last year's plants were only 1/6th the size of same type that I have outside today. A few good days of sun have worked miracles, though this year I used a grow light at first that really helped them get a strong start.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Had to plant bush beans 3X's because I did finally get them in but then the temp went soaring and burned about half as soon as they came up. Finally have a decent amount growing. Cucumbers are looking OK so I am hopeful to get some pickles made.

Tomatoes are looking really good. I can't believe it. I have some in every rows with set fruit. I will probably get tomatoes for the 4th. This is about two weeks early for me. It is really a weird growing season.

I have a zucchini about the size of a golf pencil growing. :weee

DON'T give up it will happen.

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This year is totally crazy. I managed this morning to get 31 tomatoes in the ground :barnie. Usually I get them in around Mothers Day, I've never waited until after Fathers Day. After this next round of rain I'm hoping to get the pickling cukes, squash, zukes and melons in. Hopefully I'll get something from it all this year.

I did manage to get the lettuce and potatoes in timely. The potatoes and looking pitiful from all the rain and the lettuce bolted in the crazy heat spell we had. I did manage a few yummy salads from it first tho.

Pumpkin seeds were planted as it was raining the other day.

I always hold out hope and plant with the plan that I get at least one. Besides my 12 year old DD would die a slow death if we didn't try to grow something.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is some good news. I heard on the radio a couple of weeks ago that because of the tilt of the earth that we are in a period of basically two season summer and winter with very little fall or spring. If that is the case I am hoping that we will have a little longer growing season in the fall. After I heard it I got to thinking that it seems to be the truth because that has been the case that last few years.