I Miss Impatiens

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
No one around here will sell them anymore. They are having big problems with mildew. They where such a easy flower for me. Plant them and flowers from spring to frost.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was able to purchase a "new" kind last year. I am thinking they were called Summer Impatiens? Apparently, they have found a way around the mildew issue with that one. When I get out to the greenhouses again, I will make note of the name. Whenever I think of impatiens, I remember my gardening friend who was getting ready for a garden club visit. She planted hundreds of dollars worth of impatiens- the night before the tour, deer ate every single one!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I heard they had gotten some virus or something and that they weren't going to be available any more. Not true, they still had them last year and this year. In fact, I'm about to go to Home Depot for some. Mildew? I've never heard of that. I'm surprised we don't get mildew on them here. They are a great filler plant for me.

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, the greenhouses I saw the "old" kind in- were selling them, but saying they wouldn't stand behind them, if they developed the problem. Glad you didn't have trouble with yours!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far I have never had problems with Impatiens. They make a great filler and added color. I have not tried starting from seed but have seen packets of seed. Would that be possible for you NYboy?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Impatiens downy mildew has been around quite a while, but there was a more widespread outbreak here in 2011. They've been monitoring nurseries and still selling them. Conditions have to be right for the disease to affect the plants.

I start my impatiens from seed and so far it hasn't found it's way to my gardens. I don't know anyone that has had a problem, yet. I will probably switch to some New Guinea (but the seed is much more expensive and harder to start), begonias and more trailing lobelia. I sure hope it never hits here!

@Nyboy, the new impatien not affected by mildew is 'Sunpatiens'. Maybe they will have them in your area soon, if they don't yet. They are not seed propagated though, so they may cost more. They can take sun or part shade.

Latest posts