I Miss Impatiens

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The impatien flower petals would shrivel and die in my yard, even in the shade. So, I was growing green plants and that was the color I was bringing to the beds beside the lawn ...

Petunias ars a successful choice in this semi-arid climate.

@SPedigrees , Have you thought of growing petunia cousins salpiglossis in your shady areas?

Steve :rainbowflower

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@SPedigrees , Have you thought of growing petunia cousins salpiglossis in your shady areas?
I had actually never heard of salpiglossis (painted tongue) before, but they do look intriguing and beautiful.

My little forest is now in a state of flux, so planting flowers up there isn't really on the agenda anymore. It began as a pine forest, and when the white pines were young, we created little landmarks along the trail to add interest on our walks. This was one such spot with impatiens in full bloom.

PitchforkImpatienGarden18July2012.jpg

Unfortunately all those white pines, much taller now, have become afflicted with blister rust and are dying. So now the work I've been doing is moving fallen saplings and dead branches into brush piles alongside the trails. When the larger trees begin to fall, I'll probably have to hire someone with a chainsaw. This disease and its fallout would depress me, except for the hardwoods (maples, walnut, oak, birch) springing up amidst the dying pines, so it is a transition from one type of wood to another, as opposed to extinction. But right now little flower gardens along the paths would be crushed by falling debris.

I have shaded areas alongside a brook closer to the house, and I've planted mostly foliage perennials there: Ligularia, Persicaria, Fish Mint, and Trout Lilies.

Last edited:

Latest posts