I Need 12 Step Program

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to ask my landlady today for permission to plant a tree in the yard (she will probably let me). Lotta folks around here grow apples & it would be nice to have a tree of my own here.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always wanted fruit trees but have been discouraged by the tales and observation of all the sprays people around here seem to need for diseases and insects, scale, etc. So I was wondering--You who have had fruit trees for several year: Do you have to use all those chemicals on them? Do you just put up with the spots and rot if you don't use the chemicals? Are there natural steps you can take to avoid needing the chemicals?
Our Lowes here offers their trees and shrubs for ridiculous low prices now, too. I guess I could start with blueberries and work my way up, so to speak.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you don't pick the fruit they can be very messy. Growing up we had apple trees lining the driveway, apples would fall and rot bring yellow jackets. One of my chores as a kid was to rake up the fallen apples every day.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I too am looking at resources. I want to do what I already have with excellence. I ask myself when tempted, "Will adding this actually be a benefit? Can I care for it? Should I buy some trick products for what I already have instead to satisfy my itch?"

This is helping, but I'm afraid there are no programs for addicts like us and frankly I'm not too sure that this bunch will help curb your appetite!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
So lucky- if you can grab a fruit tree or two for cheap, I would recommend giving it a try. I do not spray anything on my fruit trees (or any other plant for that matter.) I hand pick caterpillars early in the season. I wash off aphids with water and try not to kill any good bugs. I have had my first apple tree for 5 years or so- no problems. I am anxiously awaiting plums- the tree is full of them, I can't wait. The problem with blueberries is that they require acidic soil. I tried them, but gave up because my dirt just wasn't right for them. I say if a plant is cheap enough, think of it as an experiment and give it a try!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Leeeesa!

There was a confession of addiction here and you are encouraging it! See! See everyone! These people are just as sick as you are!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
April, I'm not sick. :lol: If you spend $5 for a tree, you are still spending $5. Multiply it by the number of trees and you are spending money. I used to be a sucker for those 50% off and more sales. Now, I just tell myself, you are still spending money that you shouldn't on things you don't need!

Shame on you Lesa! :lol:

Mary