I need a good recipe for cannable tomato sauce using...

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok, I've found several pressure canner recipes for tomato pasta sauce. I guess that's marinara sauce, right? But they all seem pretty bland. (tomatoes, a couple herbs, some onions) I like my spaghetti sauce to have lots of stuff in it!

Tomatoes
Bell peppers
Onions
Garlic
mushrooms
herbs (basil, parsley, rosemary, oregano...?)
Red wine vinegar

Sometimes I even buy the kind with squash & carrots in it. mmmmm

I can make the sauce (just throw something together) but how do I know if it's acidic enough for canning--and how long to process it?

I am saving up a bunch of tomatoes in the freezer for when I get enough to make a good batch of sauce

oh yum

Cassandra

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you are using a pressure canner, and you should be for this I'm told (ask Pat), you can process it at 15lbs. of pressure for 10 minutes, according to my Presto pressure canning booklet. This is if it has meat in it, so I think this would be a good method to use even without the meat. My Kerr canning book says to process spaghetti sauce with meat at 10 lbs pressure for 60 min. or in a waterbath canner for 3-1/2 hours. I figured that your spaghetti sauce might be considered a "vegetable soup" recipe for canning purposes because of the variety of veg in it. My Kerr book says to process the "soup" for the process time necessary for the vegetable requiring the longest processing. By my booklet and according to your posted "recipe" that would be the mushrooms, which means 3 hours in a waterbath canner or 25 minutes for pints, 35 minutes for qts. at 10 lbs pressure in a pressure canner. Hope this helps you some.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good info blurose! (veg soup sounds about right)

Thanks!

Cassandra

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
IMO I would only pressure can this. There are 2 methods that I know of for safety.

One is to use the highest processing time/temp of your ingredients. So you would look up the time/temp for all your ingredients and go with whatever is the highest/longest.

You could also use one of the mix recipes. Mixed veggies or soups.
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can4_vegetable.html

I prefer the 1st method if my sauce is primarily tomatoes. The other method tends to overcook/burn them in my experience. HTH

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My sauce has all of the ingredients you list (except for the vinegar) slow roasted in oven 300 degrees drizzled with olive oil and covered with foil for 3 to 4 hours. I use mostly sauce tomatoes, skin on, seeds in. Mash down and stir every hour.

Then I transfer and cook on top of the stove for another couple of hours, adding some tomato paste to reduce the acidic taste. A couple of Tablespoons.

Then I blend all together with a hand mixer and can. If I want a chunkier sytle sauce, I don't blend for as long. For years, I have just taken my pressure cooker to 15 pounds and then turned off the heat.

Anne

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Does anybody know--is it safe to can foods that have their skins on? I have always taken the skins off but now wonder if that is necessary. Of course, I would clean the skins thoroughly and only can organic foods (since that's what I grow). That would save me LOADS of time and hopefully some nutrients!!

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been canning tomatos, bell peppers, and pears for years with the skins on with no problems.

In fact, since I am now roasting my tomatos for canned sauce and not taking the skins off, I am saving a whole lot of time and I think the flavors are richer. It is sure a lot easier and I think the end product is just as good if not better.

Anne

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Excellent! I always deskinned for the possibility of soil clinging with botulism, but clean produce should be fine... I've always left skins on for fresh stuff, so you are about to save me a lot of time! I agree about the taste :)

Latest posts