I need a hoop house!

micga7

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Does any one have any insight into this hoop house? I just want something to help extend my season a bit.

Attachments

• B11B69D6-5D36-437B-B3D9-473CC92B095A.png
    B11B69D6-5D36-437B-B3D9-473CC92B095A.png
    277.6 KB · Views: 177

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is this UV-resistant plastic film? Extending season spring or fall ... both, year around?

Perhaps you have no snow-load worries but wind can put a lot of strain on any structure. Frame?

The price sure seems reasonable.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ditto @digitS' comments about wind loading. Hard to tell how strong the frame is from the photo. Also hard to tell from the photo, but it appears to have side flaps for ventilation. At that price, it is worth looking into more closely. Who is the supplier?

You will almost certainly need ground anchors as well, to hold it down.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I belong to a FB site called High tunnels for beginners. They are far from beginners, have big operations, but are still good for information. I bought my hoop house used for a song. I have had it for about 10 years. I have had to replace the covering only once. It is opaque woven poly. Keep you eye out locally for used products.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
How good are you at retro fitting? You could buy it and beef it up to make it stronger, but you could spend more money that way. I built a hoop chicken coop from cow panels. My Neigjbor got inspired and built a green house from cow panels. He put a sturdy frame in it. We had a freak winter storm for our area, 2 ice storms, 2 snow storms that dumped 10” of ice and snow on us. It tore his plastic up but didn’t hurt the structure.

Allanseron114

Sprout
Reaction score
A hoop house extends the harvest. The heat trapped inside warms the soil enough to keep growth going. A hoop house protects plants from wind, frost, snow, or ice. That's true not only for plants in the soil but also for hardy plants in containers that you want to protect. Hoop Houses will last many years if not abused. The plastic covering is the only component that needs periodic replacing. Any clear plastic may be used as a covering, although ultraviolet light will tend to break down plastics not designed for outdoor use after one season. You might need a cost-to-build calculator to understand better how much money you need.

Last edited: