I need information on blueberries

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know blueberries need acidic soil how do you get the soil acidic???? I know you use lime to make the soil alkiline...I want to put in some blueberry bushes this year and I think my yard is much too alikline...what ph will blueberries grow in... I also just read somewhere that veggie plants like the soil to be a bit acidic...????? I thought they liked it sweet 6.5 or higher...????

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
momofdrew,

I always use peat moss when I plant Blueberry Bushes, the peat makes the soil acidic which is what blueberries need.
I find peat moss much safer than adding Aluminum sulfate, which you have to measure correctly or it can kill them. With peat moss you can add as much as you like the bushes will be fine.

Hope this helps! ;)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Im looking at a pamphlet the Arkansas Extension service put out on blueberries. The preferred pH is around 5.0 to 5.2. They recommend the ground be treated initially with sulfur about 6 months before planting to get it down to this range, then treat each year with ammonium sulfate to keep it in this range. Ill not go into what I actually did initially but Ill mention I think I could have done better. But two out of three lived and have produced fairly well.

One big issue with blueberries is that they need a well-drained soil or their roots will drown. But they are a shallow-rooted plant. If they get dry, they will die. They dont send a tap root down to find deep water. I carry a lot of water to mine. Mulch them heavily too. That conserves moisture and makes them easier to keep grass and weeds out. They dont handle competition from other plants real well.

They recommend to not fertilize when planting because that can damage the root system. Wait until they start to grow to fertilize. And they say a high nitrogen fertilizer is usually best, but strongly recommend a soils analysis to know what to add.

A pH of 7.0 is neutral. Anthing below that is acidic. Anything higher is alkaline or sweet. Most garden vegetables like something in th low to mid 6's.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes, strawberries, and blueberries like a more acid soil, but not the rest as far as I know. In mass. and I think most of NE the soil is naturally acidic. Ammonium sulfate (21-0-0) will provide nitrogen and keep the soil pH in the proper range. Do not fertilize for at least six weeks after planting. Soil testing is cheap and a big help from you state extension service.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you have large pine trees nearby mulching with dead pine needles several inches thick will also help add acid in a natural form. Oak leaves will also do it but tend to mat and make water run off before it penetrates.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
If you have large pine trees nearby mulching with dead pine needles several inches thick will also help add acid in a natural form. Oak leaves will also do it but tend to mat and make water run off before it penetrates.
maybe if I get the oak leaves chopped up they wont mat??? I have spruce in the yard but we dont get many needles just cones I suppose i could chop those up mix in with the peat and the leaves... I could plant near the oak but we dont get a lot of sun there...it would be acidic there I would think...

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't plant near an oak tree if you can help it. The roots put off a chemical that inhibits growth of other plants. The growth limiting compound isn't found in the leaves. Yes, chopping the leaves would stop the matting. I'm not sure if spruce needles are acidic as pine needles are.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks I didn't know that about oaks may be why grass isnt growing there LOL

Latest posts