I need some tips.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I get chickens again, I am not going to be nearly as careless as I was about them free ranging. I hope to only have enough for them to not be over crowded in their yard, maybe just let them out in the lawn very occasionally.
Because: Poo all over the patio, flowers dug up in the flower beds, dust baths in the middle of the lawn after a mole surfaced. Fond memories. Not even to speak of them being an attractant to all the chicken killing dogs in the area.

Electronetting is a cool option. Easy to put up, easy to take down and move, protects them from the dogs and keeps them on fresh graze. You can even use it to encompass the coop so you don't have to worry about closing up the coop each night. It's been known to deter black bears, so it will be able to handle any four legged preds you have.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They are getting used to going out side now. I don't force them out, if they come out on their own that's fine, if not, I leave them alone. I have a few that are already using the "big girl" roost...lol I have some that sleep inthe nest boxes. I was kind of surprised to see some of them using the bigger roost from my last flock of chickens. @so luky, I'm not letting these ones free range, they have a specific area they can use. Last time I let chickens free range I couldnt find their eggs.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@so lucky , I also don't won't poo on my hay/straw in the loft. Adult hens could easily climb the human steps up to it and they would be roosting there at night. I doubt my cats would go after them. I like to count my eggs every day, so free ranging is a no for me, too.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have very little problems with hens laying out and I free range always. Certain times of year, like now, I'll get a few hens that like to lay out as it's their instinct to hide nests they want to sit on at this time of year. It's an easy fix, though....just confine them to the coop nests for a number of days to retrain them to the coop nests and it all goes away.

I rarely have to retrain to the nests. Every other year or so I'll get some new layers who think it's a good idea to lay out in the woods in the spring, but as soon as they get retrained to the nest, they rarely go woods on me again.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well @dewdropsinwv , it looks like I might be joining you in chick raising this spring. :rolleyes: Or, at least, in watching chicks grow.

I was hanging with the chickens yesterday afternoon and realized that my creamlegbar hen was missing. After hunting around I had given her up for lost... she has ALWAYS been flighty and had gotten over the fence a few times in the past. I decided that as long as I had gotten everyone all stirred up I may as well clean out the coop. When I opened up the nest box (Rubbermaid tub with a door cut into the side that is sitting up on some blocks) I heard a growl. I've disposed of a couple of possums already this year and feared that I had another so I snatched the box off of the blocks and there she was.. all puffed up in the TINY space behind a cinder block and between two wall studs. I have NO idea how she has been getting back there but apparently she isn't the only one. She is sitting on 4 white eggs from the exchequer leghorns and 5 brown eggs from who knows who. Oddly enough - NONE of HER blue eggs!
I moved her, she went RIGHT back - repeat, repeat again.. yep, she's serious. "Ok fine... sit there! But you'd better not quit before they're done."
25 chooks in the pen.. I did NOT want any new birds this year. :th

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@canesisters Good luck with the new brood. And I'm glad you found your missing hens. I cried when I had to get rid of my first flock. I was attached to a few of them.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay crossed fingers they like rabbit dinner

your off the chocolate egg list till further notice....
IMG_1453.JPG