I think it is weird....

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always thought the egg song was the bawkbawkbawkbawkBAGOOOOOOOOOOOOCK!! They do, but then I caught my rooster doing it when the hens are, so now I'm just confused. -.-

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a call very close to the egg song that the flock will sometimes get into if they are nervous. It's fairly common with mine for many of them to echo it once one starts. If you listen closely you can tell a difference.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The theory of why they sing the egg song that makes the most sense to me is that in the wild the flock is foraging while the hen is on the nest. When she comes off she does not know where they are so she sings the egg song to ask them. Some get a lot more carried away with this than others. All my roosters don't do this but I've had some that whenever they heard the egg song, they would go find the hen and mate with her, then lead her back to the flock. Not only does this get the hen back to the flock, but it gives the rooster a chance to know which hens are actively laying eggs and thus need to be fertilized. Sounds like a good survival mechanism to me.

Yes!! I have seen this when I sit out watching them free range! A hen will lay her egg, and sing her egg song. The roosters will get all excited, looking for the hen. When she shows up, the rooster in charge mates with her. Sometimes, the rooster just stoops down, spreads his wings out like a broody mama will, circles the hen, and "allows"..or "accepts" her back into the flock.
All quite interesting. ;)

Latest posts