I think the rabbits are smarter than me.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our cat tries :lol: the rabbits around here I are huge for cottontails! I swear they are bigger than my chickens! Needless to say the cat hasn’t had much luck. I’m not interested in killing or trapping them though. We don’t have a big enough population to cause problems most of the year and they seem to draw predators away from my chicken coop.
It is one thing I do not like about spring. I never seem to remember it from year to year either, but the cats find nests and it makes me sad. They cannot catch a squirrel though so there is that.

Last edited:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Artichoke Lover
I've not had much experience with rabbits in the garden, but I remember reading once that dusting with powdered blood meal repels them. It sounds a bit ghastly though! Apparently any smell they don't like could, possibly, keep them at bay. I've read cayenne powder can keep cats away, maybe it might work for rabbits too.
I've had good luck with a rabbit repelling spray. It's made from rotten eggs etc. and smells absolutely disgusting. I'm not sure if it was that, or they tasted one of my infamous draco cabbages and decided nothing in the garden was worth eating. The deer won't go in either.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Somewhere on TEG I posted a cartoon of an optimist, pessimist, and me. Really, I'm an optimist.

In the cartoon, the pessimist believes that things just happen. I believe in causes but that may mean multiple problems. So, I was just thinking that rabbits aren’t my most serious garden pest. There are flea beetles and soil nematodes and marmots and ... Then, it occurred to me that no other critter shows up and takes an entire crop out before I can do anything about it!

However, there are multiple solutions ;). I’m not sure if I want too many coyotes showing up too ;). I have no intention of bringing a gun (think that I spooked the neighbor lady when I shot those 2 marmots that time 😬.) Owls! I’ve seen them ignore a rabbit in broad daylight but the ripped apart one just below a common roost one morning looks like good evidence of a helpful nature.) So! Trust the Great Horned (& the coyote ;)).

Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Somewhere on TEG I posted a cartoon of an optimist, pessimist, and me. Really, I'm an optimist.

In the cartoon, the pessimist believes that things just happen. I believe in causes but that may mean multiple problems. So, I was just thinking that rabbits aren’t my most serious garden pest. There are flea beetles and soil nematodes and marmots and ... Then, it occurred to me that no other critter shows up and takes an entire crop out before I can do anything about it!

However, there are multiple solutions ;). I’m not sure if I want too many coyotes showing up too ;). I have no intention of bringing a gun (think that I spooked the neighbor lady when I shot those 2 marmots that time 😬.) Owls! I’ve seen them ignore a rabbit in broad daylight but the ripped apart one just below a common roost one morning looks like good evidence of a helpful nature.) So! Trust the Great Horned (& the coyote ;)).

Steve
But surely you could not think ill of anything called a fluffle?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

Giving it the benefit of the doubt, it may just be a mistake in spelling:

kerfuffle (kəˈfʌfəl) , carfuffle or kurfuffle, n informal chiefly Brit commotion; disorder; agitation.

My father's name: Elmer.

Steve
Elmer_in_Rabbit_Fire_%281951%29.png

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Giving it the benefit of the doubt, it may just be a mistake in spelling:

kerfuffle (kəˈfʌfəl) , carfuffle or kurfuffle, n informal chiefly Brit commotion; disorder; agitation.

My father's name: Elmer.

Steve
Elmer_in_Rabbit_Fire_%281951%29.png
Uh Oh. I do not think Elmer was very successful taming rabbits. Perhaps it does not run in the family!

Latest posts