I want a Magnolia Tree!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I know that there are types cold hardy to Michigan. My next door neighbors have a beautiful one, and I hate the bush in front of my house. As you probably have figured out, I am the QUEEN of clearance trees. I bought two fruit trees last Fall for $5/each, and thie Spring they are leafing out with flowers (peach and GD apple), though their pots are now still buried in a raised bed. :rolleyes: They'll be in the ground my Memorial Day. :weee
I'm on the hunt for a Magnolia, uber cheap. I guess I want some advice.
1) How close to the house can I plant it? It's gonna be on the east side with a lot of sun.
2) Can I prune it to keep it small?
...I can smell the flowers already...

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love clearance trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am also in zone 6 and have a magnolia (paid full price) nothing is prettier when in flower. Do your research some flower later then others, you want a late flowering one.Even though mine flowers late I have lost the flowers to frost .

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've seen some of them get as large as a standard apple tree, so I'd give it some space. It seems they take a long time to get that big though. I love them too and want to get a pink one to put out front. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a sale too. Lucky you! :cool:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The mature size will depend on the variety you get. Some get huge and some are large shrubs. Just make sure it's hardy in your zone, research it's mature size and then plant accordingly.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are a good number of Magnolia trees planted down in the valley towns around here. Two kinds. The deciduous kinds are a bit smaller than the evergreen ones, but both are quite large. I don't think they need nor want to be pruned. The town of Ukiah seems to have planted some several decades ago, and the central courthouse has one on each corner of the block prominent and beautiful. They also seem to have planted along the streets many many Crepe Myrtle, much smaller ten foot standard form trees. The effect is really beautifying.

Evergreen Magnolia make a kind of cone, almost like a Pine or Fir cone. It just seems to be a very ancient flowering plant that still carries a few traits of Conifer. I think that turns out not to be just the way it seems but the way it is. From the ancient Magnolia then came several newer plant families while the Magnolia remained.

Phoenixsylvestris2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Those magnolia cones that marshallsmyth mentioned, you may want to pick them up before mowing the grass. They hurt when they fly :p My dad also broke a window when one shot out of the lawn mower.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
A little known bonus of a magnolia is that you can re-tile your kitchen with the fallen leaves. They are so thick and have that almost waxy coating on them - they will never rot. ;)

Latest posts