I want to plant now!

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I feel like Verruca Salt. I want it now!
I want to go out and plant things now so I can start watching them grow. We have had some good days in the high sixties...tomorrow we are suppose to see 70's. But nights are still chilly! And who knows what will come next week. We had snow 1000 ft above us 3 weeks ago.
How can I solve my I want it now issue? I have a heated seed starter, but I dont' really have south facing windows that get good light.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I actually have been out in the yard most of the morning just looking for anything to do. I think its is warm enough to maybe even put some seeds directly in the ground. Knowing our luck it will be a horrid March. Uggg!!!

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Suess, where abouts are you located in So Cal?

You could go to the nursery and choose from a multitude of bare-root trees and roses right now, because this is the month to get those in the ground in these here parts now.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I only have 2 south facing windows, and at least 2 months to plant outside. Those windows are crowded. I just have a set up in the bathroom with lamps on my seedlings and they are thriving even with no natural light.

Good luck!

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
beavis said:
Suess, where abouts are you located in So Cal?

You could go to the nursery and choose from a multitude of bare-root trees and roses right now, because this is the month to get those in the ground in these here parts now.
Altadena (it is that town above Pasadena). I'm a Zone 9 er.
I have been working on stuff, like tilling, and spreading compost in the areas I plan to put nitrogen depleting plants (corn namely). I am putting the walkway in the berry patch, but that isn't as much fun as planting.
Thanks for the roses idea, but where I want those I need DH to build me a new front fence....and then I have to find a way to kill the "Crown of Thorns" passion fruit.
I have a tree I have been growing, but she isn't ready to go in the ground just yet.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Altadena, extremely pretty area.

So we are pretty much the same growing zone. I am at 1500 feet in the foothills East of San Diego, with snowy at times Julian further East at 4000 ft.

We are experiencing unseasonably warm weather during the days here (65-70), but the nights are just below freezing.

Plants are becoming very confused.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love Altadena. My momma lives in Pasadena and I grew up in San Gabriel/Alhambra. Now I live in Lousiana.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I really want to plant something. Roses or trees would be fun, but we're in a rental so that isnt happening. I went and bought seeds today just to feed my addiction for a while. I cant plant them yet, but it was really fun going through the various ones and reading about them! And some were 50% off, so I had to get em. :p

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OKay, I went and randomly bought plants. I was at Target...I know Target? But everything I have ever bought from them has done amazing!!!! So I let my two year old point out what she liked. Going into the front yard today will be: Poppies, African Daisies, a Begonia (I don't know...it was the two year old), and some oooh, I forgot what else.
I am also going to plat my cilantro now....it went to seed to fast when I planted it in March/April last year. And I got some lettuce to cordon off from the chickens. And I am going to start seeds on my warming tray.
YEAH!

Latest posts