I Want to Try Something Else

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ragweed is certainly no fun to deal with. it took us several years to get it out of the gardens here. i don't mind lambsquarters and leave some around here or there in the gardens as it makes a pretty good green manure crop and is supposedly edible. i figure if i leave it some year i may eventually find myself able to give it a try.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lambsquarters is tasty.

Having eaten it was why I was willing to try orach. I have recently learned that you can make mistakes with the seed of too many ornamental orach varieties now being sold. They may be separate species, since there are several.

For a salad green or potherb, the orach most like lambsquarters is the one you want. It's more tender than lambsquarters and has a better flavor. IMO . It's nearly as invasive, so keep that in mind.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled a lot of lambs quarters seeds to scatter in the pastures. Since the sheep like it so much, I might as well sow seeds. Just NOT in the garden!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lambsquarters is tasty.

Having eaten it was why I was willing to try orach. I have recently learned that you can make mistakes with the seed of too many ornamental orach varieties now being sold. They may be separate species, since there are several.

For a salad green or potherb, the orach most like lambsquarters is the one you want. It's more tender than lambsquarters and has a better flavor. IMO . It's nearly as invasive, so keep that in mind.

Steve

i don't think i'll be adding it to the mix here. i certainly don't want to add anything considered invasive. we have enough of those already! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to grow something that wants to grow in my garden. Orach is tasty, plus. And, never seems difficult for me to control. Probably for two reasons: left to self-sow, it does much of its growing before I ever get out to that ground; its earliness makes it especially welcome at the table.

"Something Else:"My spaghetti squash trial may be something of a failure. We used some right out of the garden. The 3 that I put in the basement all show some sign of decay. Oops. I want a winter squash that survives in storage through January! ( 🙄 Meanwhile, the two jack o'lantern pumpkins down there look absolutely fine 🙄.)

There is a squash baking now. I'll probably just use that for spaghetti. One, I will want to run through the food processor and try as a pumpkin pie. I'm not holding out a lot of hope. Storage should be improved by growing an earlier-maturing, newer-type spaghetti squash. However, I do like pasta ... and pumpkin pie ... so, is there much point in growing something that can primarily be used as a pasta substitute? (Pumpkins can substitute for zucchini in winter zucchini bread.)

Steve, not making much progress here

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the long necked trombonicas are supposed to be a bit firmer version of zucchinis, but i can't know for sure until i try them some year. however, if you want to use them as a pasta substitute at least you have the right dimension. you just have to figure out how to get them through some kind of fine slicer to give you the noodle size you'd like. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled a lot of lambs quarters seeds to scatter in the pastures. Since the sheep like it so much, I might as well sow seeds. Just NOT in the garden!
Leave it to a southern to grow what we try to kill in the nawth. First dandelions, now rag weed.......what next? Palmer? :frow